1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS for browser games with Flash elements

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by duderiepop, Jul 10, 2008.

I am looking to make a site centered around a web game with a flash interface, but I would like the different aspects and levels to have their own pages with Flash embedded in it.

Features would include:

* Users would be able to create maps in the map editor, they would appear in their profile, maps could then be grouped together into a series. Maps could also be commented on and rated.
    * Highscores for maps
    * Searchable maps, perhaps tagged with reserved tags
    * Users can create a custom character
    * Users can earn achievements

Possible future features...
    * Users can buy points with cash for in-game points
    * Shop to spend those points
    * Monthly league system based on user scores
    * Maybe tournament features
    * Shared accounts across multple games, whether it would be best to have them on seperate sites or within the same one

Now I am not familiar with web and database programming, so I don't know if this would be more secure, put more strain on the server or be much more work than having the front end in Flash (I'm fairly new at that too). It will sound like I am biting off more than I can chew, but I just want a scalable solution if I am going to take the time to learn it. Initially the site would be more along the lines of a regular Flash arcade, perhaps with high scores, personal scores and badges.

Which CMS would best suit this task? I'm looking for free or low cost systems. And what kind of experience level do you think it would require, is it something I could pick up if I really put my mind to it?

Thank you

duderiepop, Jul 10, 2008 IP
  2. duderiepop

duderiepop Guest

Best Answers:
    Apparently I am going to need to use XML to interface with the Flash. Drupal has some basic docmentation on this, I wonder if it would translate to other CMSs?

At the moment I am looking at Drupal, MODx and SilverStripe. All look quite promising; Drupal has lots of modules, MODx seems very flexible but without so much out-of-the-box functionality and SilverStripe were are the only ones to get back to my question so far.
    Of course I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's the impression I get. :)

duderiepop, Jul 12, 2008 IP