1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS Guidance

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Tropica, Jun 20, 2008.

I need some cms guidance , im not a fan of cms in the slightest, but I need a system for a client.

The client currently has a site, and although he isnt very technically minded, he can use dreamweaver to a certain level (the basics)

I have been researching many cms solutions, and at the moment Joomla is just edging it for me.

Given the fact he can use dreamweaver a little, is Joomla the best bet? Or will there be something as effective but equally as simple?

Tropica, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    With selecting a CMS are you simply recommending one to your client or setting up the CMS and delivering it to the client? I'm just trying to understand what the use of Dreamweaver has to do with Joomla unless your client would be hacking the code and building their own custom template.

The only reason I've used Dreamweaver with Joomla is to do both of those things - change the core code and producing templates, other than that there should be no reason to use any html editor - as long as the cms is set up the way the client wishes and has the right template they should be able to simply deploy information.

I wouldn't recommend somebody who only knows the basics to start getting too involved in hacking Joomla code etc :)

Lever, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  3. Tropica

Tropica Notable Member

Best Answers:
    sorry, im setting it up for the client to update, i stated he has used dreamweaver in the past, so has some knowledge of web design

I would be hacking and templating it.

The main thing, i dont want to set it up and for him to struggle updating, and have him coming back to me constantly for updates lol

Tropica, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    If your client is going to be posting content then they'll very simply be using one of Joomla's WYSIWYG editors, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem there... I only say that because, in the past, I've found the Joomla 1.0.x editors a bit limiting and being a designer/html guy I prefer to have complete control over my code, even if it is just layout :) Joomla 1.5 should be ok though.

Personally I author my content for Joomla in dw first so that I've always got a backup of the src copy; I can always use this src code to either post elsewhere on PR sites or, should I ever need to, escape to another CMS and have the src to start again. With phpmyadmin and an export of the db every day there's not necessarily any need for this but it just gives us extra backup if we ever need it.

You should be OK, Tropica; give Joomla a whirl and see let me know how you get on :)

Lever, Jun 20, 2008 IP
    Tropica likes this.
  5. Tropica

Tropica Notable Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for conforming this for me, I was unsure, but after your help and installing a demo of 1.5 I think that should do the trick!

Thanks Lever :)

Tropica, Jun 20, 2008 IP
    Lever likes this.
  6. emagin

emagin Peon

Best Answers:
    Tropica, look at JCE for editing wysiwyg in Joomla and also XMLRPC blogging interface.
    It can let you create/push content from small desktop app.
    Takes some tweaking (the xmlrpc thing) but can be very familiar to a dreamweaver user who pushes pages up via FTP from desktop

emagin, Jun 20, 2008 IP
    Tropica likes this.
  7. Tropica

Tropica Notable Member

Best Answers:
    emagin, like the sound of that, I will look into that also, cheers :)

Tropica, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  8. oldsteel68

oldsteel68 Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla FTW!:D

oldsteel68, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  9. BANAGO

BANAGO Active Member

Best Answers:
    I suggest WordPress.

BANAGO, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  10. oldsteel68

oldsteel68 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is a blogging component that can do a bit more than the average blogging component. Joomla, is a CMS that can do everything from blog to whatever you can imagine.

oldsteel68, Jun 20, 2008 IP
  11. Tropica

Tropica Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i dislike wordpres greatly, and i dont think it could do everything I need it to, joomla is pretty much the complete package i think

Thanks for your input :)

Tropica, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  12. BANAGO

BANAGO Active Member

Best Answers:
    WordPress can do almost everything for you. However I do not have anything against Joomla.

BANAGO, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  13. mrtinn

mrtinn Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal the best.

mrtinn, Jun 21, 2008 IP