1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS or framework for this website.

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by gouthamvel, Sep 13, 2009.

I want to build a website like

http://www.just-eat.ca/

I will contain all features of just-eat website.
    I am confused between what cms or framework to use.

thanks a lot.

It will be helpful if you can give me a reason why NOT to use the other.

gouthamvel, Sep 13, 2009 IP
  2. Bratzilla

Bratzilla Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting question. :)

Most of your more premiere CMS platforms, such as Drupal and Joomla, are built on application frameworks. The main difference is that CMS systems come more "ready to use" than a bare framework. For example, a CMS has user authentication and management, content management (the "CM" of CMS), and other tools that typically do not come with just a framework (although some do have authentication modules and other addons you can plug in if you want).

Basically, you'd want to use a CMS if you want to get up and going quickly, as CMS programs have plugins readily available to add features (such as galleries, profiles, messaging, etc.). The better CMS have active user forms where you can get help if needed.

Just to touch on WordPress for a minute...

WP is a platform in flux, as it started as a blogging solution, but now is morphing more and more into a true CMS. What it's really still missing at this point is classic CMS centralized user environments and functions - meaning, members get to collectively use features based on access controls. WP, even WPMU, still feels a bit like "each man is an island", but again people have overcome this limitation, and are using WP like a CMS. The main reason I mention WP is that it has the biggest collection of free, open source plugins I've ever seen (around 6,000) and WP has plugins that I haven't seen readily available anywhere else. I'm now researching WP as an alternate CMS myself.

In the end, I can't tell you what to use, I can just explain what something is and let you make a decision based on what is best for you. :)

Bratzilla, Sep 14, 2009 IP
  3. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bratzilla knows what he is talking about and I agree with him. I would only add that you
    look for a platform that can grow with your needs. Joomla is one such platform that
    you can have and use now.

As Bratzilla said, Wordpress was built around a blogging platform. It is changing, but
    Joomla needs no such "changing". It is ready now to do just about anything you need.

Blue Star Ent., Sep 14, 2009 IP