1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS Photo site

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by vsidwell, May 5, 2007.

Hey all,

I am somewhat dangerous at all of this. I have set up 2 Mambo sites, 2 Joomla sites and now I am starting to play with various Photo management and BBS integrations.

To date I have poorly used Zoom and Gallery2 inside of Joomla - sometimes more as seperate sections inside of sections (using Wrapper) Whats worst is I have used Yabb almost as an external link with a seperate login to access the blog.

I need to build a new site, Thsi one more integrated and a bit more like a stock photo site. I need to have heavy gallery content and some BBS sections as well as user comments (maybe ratings) on the images. The gallery section will service a specialized industry - but there needs to be at least 2 levels of users. Paid members and everyone else. Paid users have access to all size images. Non-members only have small image access (I may be ale to deal with watermark options). All images must be indexed, searchable, rated, comments if possible. Also Easy navigation is a must. Any of the plugins that use Windows explorer folder icons are out of the question.

I spent the day looking at several demos and variations of what I need - but not exactly. I am not selling images individually like a stock photo site so all of the scripts that offer tax and use agreements are fluff. I am not presenting a user gallery of travel photos so simple drop box galleries are of no use. I am also more of a designer html/css/javascript/actionscrip which means I know very little about PHP and mysql other than to how hack it poorly and spending hours cursing to figure out what semicolon in missing.

Any thoughts to help.

I have been looking at the following systems - not sure if any of them work together and install easily. Dont want to pay to install them all to find out one at a time. Zoom Media, EasyPhotoStore, Lightbox Photo.com, Pixaria, Gallery2, photostore (ktools.net), photofina, and more....

Vince

vsidwell, May 5, 2007 IP
  2. bfebrian

bfebrian Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm also looking for similar solutions. Where users can blog and at the same time upload their photos/pictures as easy as possible. I'm searching for WordPress or Joomla, but any help will be greatly appreciated.

bfebrian, May 7, 2007 IP
  3. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    trichnosis, May 9, 2007 IP
  4. Meistro

Meistro Peon

Best Answers:
    this is as easy as {gallery}folder{/gallery} with the right extension (see trichnosis post). Of course you will need a payment management system... get that under eCommerce extensions.

Meistro, May 10, 2007 IP
  5. vsidwell

vsidwell Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems to me that Joomla is overkill.

I mean, if all I want is to manage LARGE quantities and catagories of images, why install a very powerful CMS like Joomla, then only use ONE component from it which is a gallery component. And as to the component - there is little control over how to manage that content. Wht I mean is I would love to use the site maps components, and front page displays, and searchability of Joomla - but I need it incorporated in Joomla.

I really want something like a stock photo website. Gettyimges for isntance.

Each gallery is indexed and sub indesxed and I can search based on a bunch of criteria, filter out rights managaged, and determin the author. But in my perfect world there will be ratings and user submit areas. Also - I will be dealing with more than Photos... Other file types. (3D Geometry and binary files)

Am I wrong in thinking a Joomla component is not the answer?
    And I am hoping to include LARGE sizes. So there would be thumbnail, main and a link to HUGE associated with the image.

Vince

vsidwell, May 12, 2007 IP
  6. vsidwell

vsidwell Peon

Best Answers:
    I may have solved my gallery delima. I installed Gallery2 today. I think I like alot of what it offers. It will take me a bit to figure out a complete configuration and modification. I had installed Zoom and Pixaria. Neither did what I needed it to do. Gallery2 seems to come the closest to date.

It lacks the ability to add multiple sizes or related links (I want high high res zip file capoability) and I have no idea of how I am going to do the binary/geometry files.

I will also need to integrate it into a forum as well. (Maybe I will add phpbbs or something along side it.

Any thoughts on how to keep multiple logins?

Vince

vsidwell, May 12, 2007 IP
  7. bbrian017

bbrian017 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    vince maybe you should look at installing the whole phpbb forums script. Then you can do the gallery mod, arcade mod etc... this might be perfect for you? Maybe, Maybe not...

bbrian017, May 14, 2007 IP