1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS requirements. Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by CCK, Jun 26, 2008.

I was looking for your expert opinion on which CMS system offers the following for custom made webistes.

URL – we want total control over this. If we want a page url to say www(dot)ourwebsite.com/who-are-we or www(dot)ourwebsite.com/blue-widgets-large then we should be able to create this. Some content management systems add numbers or create the url from the page title. We want to create urls as we want them.

PAGE TITLE – We need to be able to choose this and change it at anytime through the content management system.

KEYWORDS – We need to choose these. They should not be generated by the content management system.

PAGE DESCRIPTION – We need control over this. It should not be automatically generated by the content management system.

CONTENT – We should be able to edit this and have total control over all page content. We will need to be able to-
    Change the font, style and size of text
    Add links
    Add graphics and pictures where required

MENU –We need to be able to update the menu, change menu titles and reorganise the order as necessary without affecting SEO and page titles etc.

SEO FRIENDLY i.e. We should be able to add text links, keyword tags e.t.c.

Are there generic CMS systems that meet this requirement?

Mike.

CCK, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  2. wowla_123

wowla_123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla meets all of these requirements. All of these features are in the core Joomla files except the URL thing (the first point you have mentioned). There are 3rd party Joomla extensions (like this one)that serves this purpose.

wowla_123, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  3. outshineworld

outshineworld Active Member

Best Answers:
    actually
    you can get all these features with any cms. the only constraint is that you should have little bit programming knowledge and better understanding of how cms work.
    however i will recommend Joomla if you need quick solution.

outshineworld, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  4. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're not comfortable with Joomla, try Drupal.

Bohol, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  5. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice. As my sig indicates i know nothing about webdesign. I was just wondering if off the shelf products work for this. I have spoken to UK based developers that want to charge the earth for 'their CMS'. I wonder how many are using Joomla or similar???

Thanks
    CCK

CCK, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  6. ohNooo

ohNooo Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla is definitely the most powerful opensource CMS out where with hundreds of thousands medium to large site.
    I've a Joomla site and quite happy with the support and features. Plus you can have a zillion of templates and customize it to what ever your need is. Try it .. joomla.org.

ohNooo, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  7. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Joomla in many sites that I run. It's easy to install. Check on my signatures. You just need cpanel and fantastico if you want to install them automatically.

Bohol, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  8. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    cpanel and fantastico - are these programmes?

CCK, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  9. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    cPanel is where you control everything related to your website.
    Fantastico is a website tool usually included in cPanel of most webhosts.
    When you install a CMS software such as Joomla or Drupal, you just point-click-install your Joomla-powered site using Fantastico. PM me if you need further help.

Bohol, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  10. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    Surely it is me that is the tool! :) Is cpanel included in Joomla?

Thanks Bohol

CCK, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  11. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    Joomla can be found in Fantastico. Try the demo here.

Bohol, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  12. CssWebsite

CssWebsite Active Member

Best Answers:
    Search engine friendly URLs are built into Drupal's core while you need an additional component for Joomla in order to customize your URLs the way you want them.
    The Pathauto module for Drupal is helpful if your site has many pages and to define meta tags for all pages individually you can use the Meta Tags module.

All other requirements can be met by both CMSs. I suggest that you install them both and play around with them. That's the best way to find out which one suits best for your needs.

CssWebsite, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  13. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    Considering my requirements in the above post I am looking for a someone to help me. I have a HTML design that i would like CMS adding to. The website is not live, I just have the design. I have hosting in the UK but would use an alternative if neccesary. It would need to be UK based though.

Essentially I want someone to add CMS and comeback to me with a ready to go webiste that i can start adding content to. Please PM me if you are interested. If you can't meet my requirements in the initial post please do not contact me. As per my sig I need advice on certain aspects of web development but I know what the site should be able to do.

I hope to hear from you soon.

CCK, Jul 1, 2008 IP