1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS vs Custom

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by commandos, Mar 29, 2006.

What do you use when building a web site a CMS (wordpress , joomla , nuke , etc..) or a custom made site built from 0 .

i personally use cms then if needed add the specific missing plugin (program it if needed) .

commandos, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  2. inerte

inerte Peon

Best Answers:
    I use a CMS if it covers what I need. Wordpress currently on my blog, Drupal on a couple websites, WikiMedia on a Wiki...

But when I need something not quite ready, I built it from scratch. For example, I have a price comparision website. Now, there are scripts to manage this. But they don't have "my vision" of how this kind of website should perform. So I am coding one... putting the login form where I want, asking only for email when they create an account, etc..

So I guess my tip is this: Extrapolate the needs of your website. What do you think it will need? Try to imagine *everything*, even the most crazy ideas. Then look for a solution. Apply some magic to your conclusion: How much work will I have designing plug-ins, fight to change the CMS framework/architecture, versus how much work will I have to have exactly what I want?

inerte, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  3. MaxM

MaxM Peon

Best Answers:
    Upon reading some articles about 'anti-marketing' I've found it best to make a custom site from scratch, and then attempt to impliment that into the CMS. This allows for you to stray from the original more, and establish something more unique.

MaxM, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  4. sketch

sketch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use WordPress for my sites because of it's modular system and plugin architecture. If you know PHP coding and take the time to read thru WordPress's Codex (i.e. wiki), you can really learn how to tweak the heck out of WordPress, like I did with a site I just sold here and my movie reviews site.

Those two sites bare practically no resemblance to traditional WordPress or any traditional blog.

sketch, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  5. Sarangan

Sarangan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you can`t find anything you want that is not in a CMS system, you can hire a coder to make that plugin to any CMS. Thats what I do when I need something.

Sarangan, Mar 31, 2006 IP