1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Complete newbie- where to start?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Kristabelle, Jul 11, 2006.

I want/NEED to start learning graphic design. My question: where do I start?

I've found some really cool tutorial websites (pixel2life) but the main issue is I'm not sure which program to use to start learning. Photoshop? Illustrator? Gimp? Which one has the most drawbacks for someone just starting out? Once you get the hang of one program, are the others fairly similar? Is a more traditional arts background going to be of any benefit to me with all this?

I'm kind of overwhelmed and need some advice from you graphic design geniuses. :) Any advice is welcome.

Kristabelle, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  2. Monty

Monty Peon

Best Answers:
    I would recommend to start with already well known programs such as the ones from adobe. They are maybe more complex and can be overwhelming at the beginning, but once you're used to them, that's done. (and there is many similarities between Illustrator and photoshop, for instance, in the "philosophy of use".

It you start with a less professional one, you will have to almost restart from the beginning when you will reach their limits and want to do more complex things.
    And the good point with well-known program is that there is a lot of ressources (tutorials or forums) available.

On the other hand, professionals programs are expensive. So depends on what you can afford and if it's just to give it a try or if you intend to continue in graphic/design.

And sure, background in traditional arts will be a great benefit for you.
    I know many geeks who are able to master complex programs but with no taste, what they produce can hardly be called "art".

Monty, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  3. visualkreations

visualkreations Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i reccommed , participating in some design contest, maybe from sitepoint

visualkreations, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  4. Julien

Julien Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would definately start with Photoshop. It wont take long to understand the basics... If you search around there are a lot of great free video tutorials from Adobe and other online resources.
    Make sure you understand the basic tools and get a good grasp for how "layers" work and you will be well on your way! Just start with a picture and have fun trying out all the different tools and filters... Once you get a good foundation you can start to explore some of Photoshops more advanced features.
    If you get stuck or have any questions just let me know, I would be happy to help. (I've been using Photoshop for ever). :D

Julien, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  5. intrinzik

intrinzik Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to disagree with them, you dont just go buy photoshop which a couple hundred dollars. I would suggest downloading gimp and getting the photoshop skin for. If your just starting graphic design theres no need to spend that type of money if your not ready for it.

intrinzik, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  6. chris20492002

chris20492002 Guest

Best Answers:
    chris20492002, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  7. CutPrice

CutPrice Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Photoshop is a cool software if you want to start with web design. But don't go to tutorial sites yet and overwhelm yourself with advance techniques. Take everything one step a time. It is best to start with the detailed tutorial that comes with Photoshop software where you can learn the basics of using the software. Good luck to you!

CutPrice, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  8. Scarface.

Scarface. Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest photoshop since there is such a large community out there you'll be a pro in like 4 months and there is so much you can do with it.

Scarface., Jul 19, 2006 IP
  9. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    well firstly you will have to decide what excatly tou want to learn.. then accordingly select softwares .. then just install the software and start workin on it.. use the help file available with the software and google for thing tht you are stuck with...

i think this shd fo the trick.. or else you would just keep on wasting your time :)

pratik, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  10. hotcomputers

hotcomputers Peon

Best Answers:
    try to learn photoshop and dreamweaver.
    i am sure you can find some video tutorials on the net
    good luck

hotcomputers, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  11. mylifejr

mylifejr Peon

Best Answers:
    I also want to start learn basic design and using photoshop. Thanks for the info dan tips. ;) Anyone know where the best place for newbies like me? :eek:

mylifejr, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  12. chris20492002

chris20492002 Guest

Best Answers:
    probbaly google search photoshop tutorials/guides whateva

chris20492002, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  13. Scarface.

Scarface. Peon

Best Answers:
    try greycobra.com thats where i started..

Scarface., Jul 23, 2006 IP