1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Considering Adding A News Feed To Forum

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by brandondrury, Jun 13, 2006.

I run a small PR 4 music recording / band site that I usually add 2 articles and 3 blogs per week to. The forum is getting by, but if I didn't post on it daily, I'm not sure how long it would last. I'm sitting at around 250 members, but very few of those are active and I've gotten around 6,500 posts. I'm considering the idea of putting “latest music news” on the left hand column of my forum. There is no way that I could keep up with latest news myself so this would have to be an RSS feed from another site.

For you guys, has adding a little news section that linked to someone else's site (possibly many sites if I use a Google or Yahoo feed, for example) added value to your site or has taken it away?

Thanks,
    Brandon

brandondrury, Jun 13, 2006 IP
  2. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a couple of sites where I have filled in empty areas with RSS feeds of other relevant sites, and on a couple I have added the feed of my own site. Although I never used them in forums.

While I haven't noticed a tangible traffic return, esthetically it looks better having content than blank space.

TikTok, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  3. brandondrury

brandondrury Peon

Best Answers:
    How have your visitors reacted?

I guess I'll just have to test.
    Possiblity #1 - My members have more stuff to talk about after reading the music news which they probably wouldn't have ever read.
    Possibility #2 - People who may have joined the site are whisked off to some other site never to return again.

Brandon

brandondrury, Jun 14, 2006 IP
  4. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    You can add custom Google newsfeeds or Yahoo newsfeeds to your site. It's not like the scraping scripts that people used before. This can sometimes enrich your site. If people want to use Yahoo or Google, they're going to anyways, regardless of your feed. But as always, it's original content that will bring people back.

TikTok, Jun 14, 2006 IP