1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Considering PHPBB over VBulletin

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by abercrombie, Jul 13, 2009.

I'm considering using PHPBB3 over VBulletin on one of my sites. Just my thoughts, I really like that PHPBB3 Recent Topics plugin that I can integrate into Word Press whereas I can have the most recent posts in a column on the front page. My Wordpress front page site will mainly be a portal for PHPBB. I've learned enough about PHPBB to keep it relatively secure from robot spammers and locked down the admin area. I think my biggest fear is buying vBulletin and then having my site be a failure with only maybe 5 posts per month which wouldn't justify the cost.

Why I'm considering vBulletin? Because nearly every major site uses it and it seems to have really good plugins and support. Also seems very SEO friendly.

Maybe it's like starting a family? I'll first move into a 2 bedroom Condo (PHPBB3) and if the family grows, then I'll move into a real house (vBulletin). I'm sure the database can be migrated.

abercrombie, Jul 13, 2009 IP
  2. pod

pod Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO, Porting the database of one forum system to another is an undesirable last resort as almost always some data will be lost in the transition, usually because one board doesn't support the same features as the other.

Consider using Simple Machines Forum with WordPress integration:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-smf-a-simplemachines-bridge/installation/

VBulletin doesn't have anything over SMF.

Hope this helps!

pod, Jul 13, 2009 IP
  3. SEOURWEB

SEOURWEB Peon

Best Answers:
    Vbulletin is by far the best forum software on the net.

Easily modifyed and loads of quality mods you can install on it to add funtionality.

The only down side is you have to pay for it..

SEOURWEB, Jul 15, 2009 IP