1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Constant "500 Internal Server Error" on WP!

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by M3rC, Dec 9, 2008.

Can anyone help me, we are getting constant 500 Internal errors and it goes as:

I've contacted my webhost too, but whats your input on this?
    I read around and people said it was cause of the clash between GoDaddy doman registrar and the plugin "WP-Cache" so i got rid of it and installed the "GoDaddy compatible version" of it - but still error is persistent

thanks
    m3rc

M3rC, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  2. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of the reasons for 500 Internal error is bad line in the .htaccess file. If you have recently modified it the undo your changes and then check. Also check the error logs for your site. you will get some more information for this error.

Kailash

kailash, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  3. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    yup...it's either something bad in your htaccess, or a 301 redirect that wasn't typed out properly.

Pixelrage, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  4. Ajucoolest

Ajucoolest Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Which Plugin is causing this error. It might be after you activate some Plugin. What is your blog address Pm me more information so that I may help you ..

Ajucoolest, Dec 9, 2008 IP
  5. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    hey thanks for the reply guys, well belows my .htaccess file data:
    @markn - i do have a 301 redirect from another site, but these errors have been happening way before i got the 301 up :S

M3rC, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  6. kailash

kailash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the code in .htaccess is right. Make sure you have no .htaccess file top of this file. I mean the .htaccess in the parent folder of this .htaccess file.

Kailash

kailash, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  7. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    it's your server configuration
    server 500 is all on your host, they should be able to get you working again

Brandon Sheley, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  8. bsd13

bsd13 Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you try to reload your backed up version of the database from before the wp-cache plugin was installed?

bsd13, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  9. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    heyy my host said he's going to shift me to a faster server, we'll see what happens.

i figured out what was wrong ages ago I made "www.mgtgamer.com" automatically redirect to "mgtgamer.com" without the "www." because somewhere I read, that google considers this as two different sites and thus affecting backlinks + PR and all.

now "mgtgamer.com" works fine but "www.mgtgamer.com" returns with a 500 error, I don't remember what I used to make that change either it was GOogle Webmasters/All In One SEO (Wordpress Pluging)/ edit the .htaccess!

I'm sure it was one of those three, can someone guide me further on fixing it?
    thanks

m3rc

M3rC, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  10. lvtim

lvtim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you registered with Google Webmasters, there is a tool there that can tell Google whether to list your site with or without WWW. If you're using WordPress, you can install the No WWW plugin created by Matt Mullenweg.

And, if you're comfortable with editing the .htaccess yourself, you simply have to add the following lines:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^domain.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://domain.com/$1 [L,R=301]

lvtim, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  11. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    @lvtim

thanks for the code, do i need to replace anything other than the "domain.com" with my URL?

M3rC, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  12. lvtim

lvtim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nope, that's about all you need. Just to let you know that the code will redirect all your www.domain.com traffic to domain.com.

lvtim, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  13. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    This reminds me - I cannot 301 redirect my non www domain to my www domains on my server. No matter how I try, it creates 500 errors. I think it has something to do with the software that my server host is using. This could be the cause of your problems, too.

Pixelrage, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  14. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    hey guys..arrrr! i really think it's my host too - alot of downtime :(

the 301 works now (for me) like "www.domain.com" redirects to "domain.com"
    I just checked it now, and the 500 seems to be gone, AND the site seems to be working 100% (the way I want it)

can anyone check it out from their computer and let me know if it works too?
    thanks

also have you guys got any good recommendation for A GOOD & RELIABLE blog hosting service?
    I mean really reliable..sick of this downtime sh*t...

M3rC, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  15. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Despite the negative feedback (which is a normal phenomenon on the web) I'd go for either GoDaddy or 1AND1 shared hosting package. Get the cheapest for startup and upgrade when you need. It will cost you under $5 a month and you won't experience downtime, I've used both of them and both proved to be reliable.

Clive, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  16. adishpatel

adishpatel Banned

Best Answers:
    i personally dont believe that 1and1 and godaddy are good for shared hosting at the moment. They both have too much server load. And they dont bother about it as they want to loose some of their clients.

adishpatel, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  17. adishpatel

adishpatel Banned

Best Answers:
    @m3rc

Simple solution, Change your file permissions to 755, Do it recursively for each and every file and folder.Your site will be up!

adishpatel, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  18. lvtim

lvtim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can take out the downtime guessing game simply by looking at your error logs as well. Accessing your site can also be interrupted by an unstable Internet / WiFi connection.

Your site looks good; all links and posts are redirected to the non-www even after I added the www in front of the URL.

If you're looking for a WP hosting, you can try the one I'm using, http://WPWebHost.com. They really know WP back to front and has really quick support; via e-mail it takes a maximum 15 minutes for them to reply. I haven't encountered a downtime, and all my blogs has been up.

lvtim, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  19. lvtim

lvtim Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is your .htaccess written correctly? Sometimes badly formatted lines and extra blank spaces can contribute to 500. You may want to cut and paste the .htaccess code here so that people can pintpoint the problem.

Also check your error logs to see why those problems occur. Plugins and certain PHP functions may be blocked by your host, which could create the problem you're facing.

lvtim, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  20. M3rC

M3rC Peon

Best Answers:
    @clive & adishpatel - yeah true, reading the forums (not only DP) I"m starting to regret registering with GoDaddy.. but then agian it's my DOMAIN only that is registered? My blog hosting is at
    @adishpatel - 755???? Then the public permission are set to execute, that's unsafe I read somewhere.

@lvtim -thanks for verifying! appreciate it :) I'm checking out your recommendation as we speak :)

M3rC, Dec 11, 2008 IP