1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content from Wikipedia?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by pairbrother, Jan 1, 2006.

Can I just copy and paste content from Wikipedia to my site and backlink the article to wikipedia?
    I read there TOS, and from what I understood, it is ok to copy the content

Now, what I want is to create a database using the content from wikipedia(relating to my site subject) and display it in a different format on my site.
    I think it'll be ok, just want to know ur opinion!
    Any help will be appreciated. :)

pairbrother, Jan 1, 2006 IP
  2. pairbrother

pairbrother Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    bump..anybody got to say anything regarding this? :rolleyes: !

pairbrother, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  3. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes you can do this, just make sure of the backlink. But dont expect any real traffic, from experience wikipedia articles is not real good at bringing SE visitors.
    (I think you can even use it without the backlink if you list at least 6 of the authors or something like that, if I can recall the TOS correctly)

Dejavu, Jan 4, 2006 IP
  4. comp71

comp71 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are correct dejavu, I think it was 6 authors

comp71, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  5. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree with that. I find that when I'm doing research for classes in school I will almost always come across a wikipedia link in the first 5 hits for a search. While yes, creating duplicate content sites will not drive traffic, search engines drive A LOT, if not all, the traffic for wikipedia. A duplicate site will not get nearly the same search results because of pagerank effects and other search engine methods.

If you meant specifically wikipedia articles on dupe sites, then I would agree with it.

fsmedia, Jan 6, 2006 IP
  6. Rjx

Rjx Peon

Best Answers:
    All wikipedia content is licensed under the GFDL which you can read about here: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html.

Wikipedia content has been replicated on so many sites though that you're pretty likely to get labelled as a duplicate (or just low down in the results).

Rjx, Jan 6, 2006 IP