1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content Management - More than just a product

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by brookswould, Jul 26, 2006.

Just seeing a bunch of threads talking about "what's the best CMS," or "Joomla this," or "Joomla that..." Although it's true that you should have the best CMS to suit your needs, I thought I'd make a thread about Content Management being more of a concept rather than a product...

What are everyone's opinions/methods on the following?

1. Where to find content?

2. How to go about syndicating articles?

3. How much is too much? (aka, How many articles for content should you have on your website? this is probably a loaded question...)

Ok, that's good for now... DISCUSS!!!

PS: Although I've been a reader and peeping tom of this board for a hot one, I decided I'd go ahead and register and get in on the jibber jabber... So... um... WHAT UP People!:D

brookswould, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  2. factchecker

factchecker Peon

Best Answers:
    um.... If you start a thread like this you should start the discussion with some examples. Then people will follow suit.

factchecker, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  3. Pligg

Pligg Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not a fan of Joomla, despite all of it's hype. I use Pligg, but I'm a bit biased. I like the ability to have users submit and promote articles so that I don't have to constantly maintain the site.

Pligg, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  4. brookswould

brookswould Peon

Best Answers:
    aight sarah michelle:

1. Where to find content?
    Personal Favs of mine are keywordcafe and elance

2. How to go about syndicating articles?
    I guess what I do most times is just find out who wrote the article that I want to put on my site, and I ask them if I can use it as content. Sometimes (most times) they agree, but sometimes they don't...

3. How much is too much? (aka, How many articles for content should you have on your website? this is probably a loaded question...)
    The reason I asked this question is because I've heard from many sources via word of mouth that you can start to have "too much" content on your site... I tend to disagree with this... Mainly because it makes the most common sense to me that if you have 1000 articles on a certain subject, and your competitor's website has 800 articles on the same subject, then your site (pending they're both equally seo friendly articles) is going to be ranked higher...

brookswould, Jul 27, 2006 IP
  5. tyrithe

tyrithe Member

Best Answers:
    1) Write. As a general rule, I prefer to write my own content. I've tried elance once, and had to do enough editing afterwards. It can often be said you get what you pay for.

2) When you refer to syndicating content, I take it from your example that you're referring to the direction where you're using someone elses instead of putting your own up for syndication. I'm not fond of syndication in general, since I think unique content is the better way to go. I'd be more likely to quote a summary paragraph, add a link to the page, and add my comments to it.

3) Really hard to say. Is your purpose to sell a product? Then too much information would be when the people coming to your page get whatever they need from the free information on the page. If you're going for more of a content site, I'm not sure if there is such a thing as too much, as long as you don't wander off topic and don't start repeating content.

tyrithe, Jul 27, 2006 IP