1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content Management Question

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by hmilesjr, Jul 4, 2006.

I have what may seem like a strange set of questions here, but here goes.

My present site has a custome built content management system that I have been dissatisfied with. The main reason I went with a custom CMS was that I wanted a seperate RSS feed for each category in my site. Was told that was what I needed. Although the desgner achieved this, I am not keen on the character string used in the articles.

I recently just got into blogging, and really like the ease of use and the functions WordPress offers. So here are the questions. I am new to CMS so these questions may be silly. I have no programming experience, other than tinkering with the template code.

How difficult would it be to change out my current CMS to a new one?
    Can my current templates be used with a program like Mambo or Drupal?
    Is there a CMS that is close in comparison to WordPress, or could WordPress be used as a CMS?

hmilesjr, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  2. mikebrad0927

mikebrad0927 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is very easy to convert to wordpress, especially if you have rss feeds.

Not too sure about that, probably should ask the designer.

Wordpress can be used as a CMS. There are many plugins, like the static homepage plugin that make this possible.

I am a HUGE fan of Wordpress. Easy to use, near-perfect SEO, tons of templates that are easy to customize, and all of the support that you will ever need.

mikebrad0927, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  3. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have become a big WordPress fan as well. My biggest fear of switching is that I like my site's design layout. I would like to keep it if I could. The SEO aspect has really appealled to me. My hang-up is my layout. By the way tha site I am referring to is http://www.financenewstoday.com. I have just starting ranking descent and I am uneasy about the change although I feel it maybe inevitable.

hmilesjr, Jul 4, 2006 IP
  4. Intlws

Intlws Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's an idea that may work for you. The Joomla cms works well and WordPress has a component that will install right into Joomla. It seems to work very well and is very easy to install.
    Joomla also has the RSS feeds. Hope that helps you and is what you were looking for.

Intlws, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  5. rewlie

rewlie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make it's more fun with rss that you can separate them into categories and automated adsense appears on it, no more hassle :p

rewlie, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  6. mikebrad0927

mikebrad0927 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to be honest with you here. I love wordpress to death but I'm not sure you could acheive that layout using wordpress. Sure, it's possible, but at what cost?

I also like your site's layout a lot and if you are just starting to rank well, are you sure NOW is the right time to change?

mikebrad0927, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  7. dinarpw

dinarpw Guest

Best Answers:
    I totally agree! Your site's layout is fabulous! Why would you change it? Also, changing CMS would most likely change the names of the pages that are already ranking well. With new pages they'll be down to PR0 again. It happened to me when I first converted my website into Joomla.

dinarpw, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  8. Klaas Koopman

Klaas Koopman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    to be honest any design can be used with wordpress! Yours isn't that hard, only the center information part could be tricky but nothing that can't be solved I think! Contact someone with some wordpress experience. I am for sure I can get you thesame layout ( perhaps not exactly thesame as the content in the middle part ) but the rest, sure!

Klaas Koopman, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  9. hmilesjr

hmilesjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for everyones input. I am going to leave everything in place. I believe that will be best.

hmilesjr, Jul 11, 2006 IP