1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content Management Systems?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Burta, Apr 28, 2006.

OK this is going to make me sound like a complete idiot, but can I ask what is the point of a CMS. I was looking over the Joomla site and I don't understand what the benefits are of using one of these CMS. I guess I'm sort of asking htis question because I always hear people talking about their CMS's but I never really understood what they offer, so I guess my question is what are the benefits of CMSs?

Burta, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Quick updates to a site using pre-defined templates that anyone can do... they allow non-programmers to manage and add new web content easily.

TheHoff, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  3. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a fantastic timesaver. You'll never get the complete control that you can have over each and every page that you'll get by coding each page by hand. But imagine for a news site adding 100 stories each day. You can just cut and paste the story into the template and it's automatically linked to from all of the other relevent pages.

MattUK, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  4. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Thus far, every site I've built I did manually and used php includes to call the template... but I had to do the navigational and page building manually. I did this because I could not find a CMS that gave me the control I wanted in an interface that I could easily learn.

Now, as my sites grow the upkeep gets harder and harder. Adding content takes a tedious amount of time, and I've decided now to use a CMS and sacrifice some of the freedom I've enjoyed. It's a small price to pay to add content so much faster.

mdvaldosta, Apr 28, 2006 IP
    MattUK likes this.
  5. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Burt,

The 3 posts directly above this one pretty much tell you all you need to know and I agree fully with what they each have said.

Colbyt, Apr 28, 2006 IP
  6. Burta

Burta Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Basically I get the impression CMS is about speed at the expense of flexibility... well I'm not at the point where I feel I need methods of getting my content up lightning fast - I just don't have enough of it - so I guess my current methods will more than suffice. Thanks for the input guys.

Burta, Apr 28, 2006 IP