1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

contracts with web development agencies

Discussion in 'General Business' started by fokysss, Jan 17, 2012.

Hello!
    I would like to as you how does it all work with web development agencies who are based in United Kingdom!

When you order something from them there should be contract as far as i know i was trying to get in touch with them and was asking to send them a copy of the contract but for some reason they do not want to do that,they keep asking me to visit office and discuss my request!

Does anybody else have any experience dealing with them?
    And why they do not want to show any contracts before you go and see them?

fokysss, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  2. blacknet

blacknet Active Member

Best Answers:
    A contract is something you agree on, you discuss the work needed done, come to an agreement, write it in a contract - thus formally agreeing what you have both agreed to do (usually the work they will provide and when, and the amount you will pay and when, + some details).

blacknet, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  3. fokysss

fokysss Active Member

Best Answers:
    so there is no such a thing as pre-made contracts?it gets done while you are ordering website?
    I believe there must be some sort of basic terms and conditions
    What if i want to take this agreement to my solicitor before i sign it to find out about more about my legal rights?

fokysss, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  4. blacknet

blacknet Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's exactly what you do, you get the contract, review, take to a solicitor if you want, then sign when, and if, happy.

Although I have to say, putting so much focus on something which is just a background safety/sanity thing, will really put a lot of companies off - for instance I am already wondering why you are putting so much emphasis on the contracts, it makes it appear as though you're looking to rip the company off. Regardless of whether this is true or not, it's certainly how it looks.

blacknet, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  5. fokysss

fokysss Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is not that, it is for research purposes i am gathering information about UK web development agencies and the whole system on how it works

fokysss, Jan 17, 2012 IP
  6. BoBo_184

BoBo_184 Peon

Best Answers:
    are you actually looking to build a website? or are you simply trying to learn how to process works?

If it is just for research then I guess the company in question doesn't need to send you anything since you are not proceeding with a project.

If you are looking to pay to develop a website then it is logical that a contract is drawn up and agreed upon to protect both parties. While they might worry about you ripping them off, if you do not have a contract, they can easily rip you off. In any case, it is always easier for the provider to rip off the client than the other way round, especially when it is customary for the client to pay an initial deposit before the project begins.

Can you clarify what it is that you are doing?

BoBo_184, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  7. M8INTERNET

M8INTERNET Member

Best Answers:
    This is a process known as Due Diligence
    Is your provider office based or online based?
    It sounds more like they are office based and only deal with clients that visit them

Equally, what sort of enquiry did you make to them?
    If you simply asked for a preliminary quote and contract this would probably have been refused as it is not really possible to issue a contract until you know what the client wants and requires
    Once an order has been agreed upon, then a contract would be issued
    Then (and only then) would work commence

However more casual companies will simply go ahead, but risk not being paid, and as a result learn from this and never do it again!

I myself visit the client premises and we discuss what exactly they require
    I then present a contract which they can either sign there and then, or pass to their solicitor / legal department to be returned within 20 business days, and includes a quote for the work outlined and required
    For more complex work I advise them I will provide a quote and contract within 5 business days
    It is also a requirement (as outlined in the contract) that a deposit equal to 25% of the quote must be paid within 20 business days and work commences when received, the balance due on completion

The contract has to be amended for each client :
    some want to own the copyright, others may not
    some want to update the website themselves, others may not
    some want to own the Domain Name, others may not
    some want support, others many not
    The options are almost endless...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    M8INTERNET, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  8. fokysss

fokysss Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for information everybody!
    I am not looking to rip off anybody or buy anything i am simply doing research!
    During my research process not even 1 company sent me any contract you are lucky to get a rough quote and all prices are sky high by the way,the highest one was starting from 150k USA dollars but as they say regular price would be around 250k :)

Anyway i used google search on some contracts where stored on web servers where they host websites and indexed by google so i just simple took them myself to have a look at :)

fokysss, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  9. M8INTERNET

M8INTERNET Member

Best Answers:
    With a service contract of around $150K / £75K there is no way you will see the contract until the heads of terms are agreed
    Sounds like you were contacting large companies only
    That was completely the wrong approach and obvious they would not release a sample contract, as that would be commercially sensitive

It's like walking up to McDonalds and asking to see a sample franchise agreement, no chance of that unless the provider knew you were serious...

M8INTERNET, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  10. fokysss

fokysss Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes i have noticed it myself it is good experience to do research on how all this works with agencies
    I was little bit shocked when some of them try to charge you like 8k£ for modified open source scripts bottom line is, if they charging so much money there must be somebody paying it as well!

fokysss, Jan 18, 2012 IP