1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Conversion issues on new website

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Khmedia, Jun 17, 2014.

Hi guys,

I am looking to diagnose conversion issues on my new online business for creating wedding websites.

Of course I have many suspicions about the cause of low conversions however without influecing I would love to hear your opinions on these 2 areas:

- the quality of the product (the wedding templates)
    - the price (currently $149 per website)

Any other comments very welcome too.

Website is:

www.ourbigdayinfo.com

Thank you!

Khmedia, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  2. sonny_king

sonny_king Member

Best Answers:
    A few things...

1.) What is the marketing strategy for this? (FB, SEO, Local SEO)
    2.) What conversion rate are you aiming at? And what is it now?

This is a very niche offer you have. I would go to weddings forums and high traffic blogs for
    targeted traffic. As far as conversions go on the site, the site actually looks good. However
    I would use a different template and try to center everything up. Things look right to me.

That is my best guess without seeing another wedding websites and their stats, to make
    a comparison.

sonny_king, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Your conversion rate is too low because you are too expensive.

You know how it goes: If you want to reduce the demand just jack up your prices.

Seriously, you want people to do all the work (writing their own content, etc.) and then end up paying $150 for it.

The templates are beautiful, no doubt about that, but still reducing it to $80 or so may skyrocket your conversion rate.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    qwikad.com, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  4. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The data in your demos are highly Ireland-centric and that could be a conversion issue for visitors from other countries. I also agree with qwikad that the price is way too high for a single web page even with the web form. I think that $50 is probably a more realistic price that a bride or groom would take a chance on. Now, if you added in an emailing service in which you would send announcement of the page to a list of their family and friends and could also send updates, changes, reminders, etc., it would certainly add value. It might also be of value to add a feed to their Facebook and Twitter pages.

jrbiz, Jun 17, 2014 IP
  5. Khmedia

Khmedia Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Few replies below.

Hi Sonny_king, currently the website is been advertised on ad words. It has a Facebook presence which basically links to new articles published on the blog. The blog articles are all wedding related i.e. Top ten wedding planning tips. Most of the articles relate to wedding websites in some form. There has been no active push to get SEO in order on the website. A few things have happened in this regard but nothing in terms of backlinks etc. Regarding what conversion rate I'm targeting. I'd hope to at least get 0.06% free trial sign ups. As for those who have signed up. I'd like to think that the conversation rate here would be much higher since they've already invested their time in setting up the website - So 0.3%.

Hey qwikan.com. I suspect this may the case and your point about jacking up the price to reduce the demand is true. Perhaps the $150 is a huge ask. Your suggestion of $80 could be closer to the mark.

Hi jrbiz. That's a great observation on the demos. They could do with more of an international vibe content-wise. And thanks for the price suggestion. $50 sounds about right. The emailing service is a great idea. This is a weakness in terms of current funcitonality but it would definately add a lot of value.

Thanks for all this guys. This is great feedback.

Khmedia, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  6. Khmedia

Khmedia Member

Best Answers:
    Also, sonny_king, your comment about making the template centered. I was thinking of using this landing page as our new homepage:

http://ourbigdayinfo.com/free-trial/create-your-wedding-website.html

And dumping the current homepage completely.

Khmedia, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  7. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I like the new home page better, though the first one was fine, in my opinion.

Another thought that I had was if it would be a good sales approach to allow any visitor to view your current customers' wedding pages? Demos are fine, but seeing 200+ actual websites created by couples getting married might create a "jump on the bandwagon" effect with your visitors. I suppose that there might be privacy or other such issues, but on the other hand, it might be a natural extension of the social media aspect of your website.

jrbiz, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  8. Khmedia

Khmedia Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks jrbiz. Glad you like the new design.

Your suggestion is a great one and is something I was previously thinking about. I'd love to have showcasing on the website asap. I think the best place to get this on is the testimonials. Have a quote of a customer and then a link to their wedding website.

I ask users when they sign up will the allow us to publish their website on social media etc. Most users don't agree to it so it can be tricky to get the URLS!

Thank you.

Khmedia, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  9. BoostSoftware

BoostSoftware Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its a beautiful site, and the cost would depend on the options provided. For $150, all the pages should be set up already with content on them, and then if the client chooses to have unique content, they can ask for additional services.

BoostSoftware, Jun 18, 2014 IP
  10. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Great looking site mate, the domain name is not the easiest to remember(I already forgot it..).
    As some others said the price is way too high, I'd actually be so brutal as to put it down to around 50~ or even 35 for a "limited/basic" version.
    Your second landing page is great, I would suggest making the background a tiny bit lighter though, as to increase the contrast between the text and background.

Offtopic: Did you make these designs yourself, if so, what is your rate?

Helge Sverre, Jun 19, 2014 IP
  11. Khmedia

Khmedia Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback BoostSoftware and Helge.

Helge, your feedback on not remembering the domain is interesting!!

I think the general consensus is to lower the price given the feedback from everyone.

I never thought/noticed the contrast wasn't that great. I'll definately give this some thought Helge.

As for the the designs. I designed the website myself yes but due to time constraints I had to outsource the dev to the US. Normally I'd have attempted the coding but my time is now quite limited as I am working full time. So my freelance work is virtually non-existent now. However if things change I'll keep in touch with you of course.

Khmedia, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  12. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Haha, I am in the opposite position myself, I can code, but design, not so much hehe :p
    Do keep in touch ^^

Helge Sverre, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  13. Khmedia

Khmedia Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is good to be strong at one or the other. It is very rare that you come across someone who is really strong in both disciplines!

Khmedia, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  14. David Tile

David Tile Active Member

Best Answers:
    The site looks great and the demos look (and sound) even better. I'm going to go against the crowd here and say $150 isn't too high -- especially since you seem to be targeting people who are spending thousands of dollars on their "Big Day." Maybe conversion rate isn't your problem, maybe you just need more traffic. I suggest Pinterest, Pinterest, Pinterest.

David Tile, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  15. Khmedia

Khmedia Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your opinions David. Interesting theory on the pricing! And whilst we've explored pinterest perhaps out approach could be improved. I will take your feedback on board. Many thanks!

Khmedia, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  16. David Tile

David Tile Active Member

Best Answers:
    Glad I could help. Good luck!

David Tile, Jun 23, 2014 IP