1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cool New Advertising Idea?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ViciousSummer, Apr 14, 2006.

1. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    dct, May 19, 2006 IP
  2. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    WOW... that's one of my favourites and it's definitely active.

For the $5 you have put on it you have recieved 215 hits to date :)

Ashkan, May 19, 2006 IP
  3. dct

Best Answers:
    Thanks, is there any way I can track traffic. I've not noticed UBlam in my logs (though if it's only a few hots a day I probably wouldn't spot it).

dct, May 19, 2006 IP
  4. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Only I can see the total number of hits. If you can think of a way (something that I can do) to allow people to track it, let me know.

Ashkan, May 19, 2006 IP
  5. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, ultimately only the webmaster can see the number of people that actually made it to their website. That would be via their webserver logs. If it ain't in the webserver log, then there was not visit. ( grep "ublam" access_log )

Phynder, May 19, 2006 IP
  6. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    When your site comes up in ublam (and is viewed by a blammer), it won't show up in your weblogs because ublam uses some sort of frames (or something, I'm not sure what exactly) that keeps them at the ublam url and able to blam again. I believe that you would only see ublam in your weblogs if someone actually clicked into your webites after viewing the page that showed up on ublam. Then again I could be totally wrong...:D

ViciousSummer, May 19, 2006 IP
  7. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Not to say that you are "wrong", but... Perhaps your server if different than mine :)

Anytime my webserver gets a request, information is stored in my log files. Regardless of how UBlam gets my webpage (as long as it is getting it from my webserver), there is a record of it.

grep "ublam" access_log

I should add - they could cache the webpage on their site (maybe that is what you were thinking), but I don't see any indication of that happening. Hey, UBlam Guy - are you caching?

Phynder, May 19, 2006 IP
  8. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, there is no caching. Your sites are linked through a frame but the visitor's browser still requests the webpage from your webservers. So it should show up on your log.

Ashkan, May 21, 2006 IP
  9. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    See, I WAS wrong...haha.

For ViciousStyle.com, I've received 11 referrals from ublam so far this month.

For LaLaLingerie.com, I've received 10 referrals so far this month.

For my blog, I've received 41 so far this month (Wow! That was way more then I was expecting!).

ViciousSummer, May 22, 2006 IP
  10. dct

Best Answers:
    My logs are showing 39 uniques since I started using it (see beginning of this thread) but I would expect Ashkan to know how many visitors he sent me more accurately than I do.

dct, May 22, 2006 IP
  11. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Made a new widget - the miniBLAM widget... http://widgets.yahoo.com/gallery/?search=miniblam

Should get everyone on UBlam's list more hits :)

Ashkan, May 23, 2006 IP
  12. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Alexa is definitely not as accurate as I thought. According to my webalizer UBlam.com had 471 uniques today which is more than what it had the day before, yet on alexa it has less than halved...is alexa the best way to compare my website with others?

Ashkan, May 24, 2006 IP
  13. Phynder

Best Answers:
    No, there are not any reasonable (as in cost effective) alternatives to Alexa. When you are talking about 100's or 1000's or people - Alexa just is not meaningful. When you get into 10,000 hits a day - then it gets more accurate (many will argue with me!).

471 uniques in a day? Sounds like it is time to pull out all the stops and start advertising. Put uBlam in your signature. Start a blog.

Any response to the PR?

Phynder, May 24, 2006 IP
  14. moq

moq Guest

Best Answers:
    good , i like it!

moq, May 24, 2006 IP
  15. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just spent ages writing a reply and then it all got lost when it asked me to relogin, so here's a shorter one.

- The hits are mainly from UBlam articles on the news and miniBlams including the widget ( http://widgets.yahoo.com/gallery/view.php?widget=39692 ) which has got over 1000 downloads in just a day.

- No hits from search engines, I still need to learn about adwords, SEO, PR rank etc. It would be nice if UBlam came on top when people search for 'bored' or 'Blam'. Any ideas on how to do that?

- Although UBlam is getting tons of new and returned visitors everyday, there hasn't been as much sign up of people putting their Blogs and websites on there. Some people have signed up but havent added their site. Maybe I am doing something wrong (e.g. they think the payment system is not secure or they think they must have a paypal account). Again, Any ideas would help :) ?

- The UBlam.com background picture now alternates, if anyone can find good 'BLAM' related pictures, let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Ashkan, May 24, 2006 IP
  16. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Someone just offered me a fair amount to buy UBlam.com off me...it is very tempting but can't let go of UBlam! Just though whether any of you have any idea what my site could be worth...? Just want to compare it with the offer I got.

Ashkan, May 24, 2006 IP
  17. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Monthly revenue x 12 or so (yeah - that is the same as 1 year revenue, but I like to make it look more complicated). It is a trade-off - if you can flip the site and make money, then you have to consider any additional "trouble" that you will not have to "invest" back into it. On the other hand, it could be big and it will be a missed opportunity.

Phynder, May 24, 2006 IP
  18. Ashkan

Ashkan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well my monthly revenue varies... Does the number unique design of the website, widgets, toolbars, alexa ranking etc not count?

781 uniques yesterday :)

Ashkan, May 25, 2006 IP
  19. Phynder

Best Answers:
    They don't count. I would rather have the ugliest website in the world making $1,000 a month vs. the coooooooolest website ever making nothing. Sorry - that is the way I see it.

Phynder, May 25, 2006 IP
  20. dct

Best Answers:
    Traffic is big factor in a sites value, if a site has no income but recieves a few thousand visitors a day it will have a value to somebody else who could monetise it.

dct, May 25, 2006 IP
    ViciousSummer likes this.