1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating income from a popular site I manage

Discussion in 'General Business' started by brownrecluse, Apr 29, 2013.

Hi, I designed and maintain a veterinary website for one of the largest and most profitable vet clinics in the southeastern U.S. I'm trying to figure out a way to create some income for myself from this site since it gets so much traffic.

A few ideas I had were: create an ecommerce section on the site and sell pet boarding, rx refills, pet food, etc. Pitch it to the clinic that I'll manage all of that for a percentage of all sales.

Any other ideas?

thanks!

Jeff

brownrecluse, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  2. dailybread2011

dailybread2011 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hey Jeff,
    That is a difficult question. Maintaining and managing a website is a bit like maintaining and managing a building. You get paid to do it but the website remains the property of the owner who has no obligation to pay you anything else...

Having said that, the best way to earn some extra money for the site would be to offer to create extra services / products / instructions that may gel with the website. Ebooks on pet care, affiliate links to products on Amazon, links to dog walkers, cat kissers and hamster exercisers. Just kidding the last bit but you get the drift.

The website is still owned by the owner and you are the manager. I think you would have to offer new monetization methods to them and then offer 50 / 50 split.

Best of luck, mate!
    Martin

dailybread2011, Apr 29, 2013 IP
    newbie191 likes this.
  3. Markwebuk

Markwebuk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Martin :Well said!
    You cannot forget this fact that you only manage and maintain it, you don't own it. If you really wish to monetize the, you'd need to get in a mutual consent. How you do it is a different aspect. Don't do anything which will loosen the trust of the vet clinic personnel in you.
    I think, communicating your ideas to them would be a better option here. ;)

Markwebuk, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  4. fokerss

fokerss Active Member

Best Answers:
    well you can split it out for more link to your website , of course if can sale on there site , just sell it there. it will be just like the word " don't put all the egg only on a buckets "

fokerss, Apr 29, 2013 IP
  5. MistaOptimiza

MistaOptimiza Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There are different ways you can go at this. There are some great articles that go in depth about monetizing sites on the internet.

One word of advise, not everything works for every page. Try a couple of options and then see how it goes, it's important though to try to diversify your earnings though.

To give you some pointers:
    affiliate marketing programs
    paid product / service around your blog (your inital idea)
    sponsored posts

MistaOptimiza, Apr 30, 2013 IP