1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Creating Your Own Social Network?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by rlshosting, Jan 20, 2013.

Do you think that the Internet has a market for a new social network? Do you think that thanks to Facebook no other Social Network can survive any competition? What are your thoughts on this subject?

rlshosting, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  2. jimbo2779

jimbo2779 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is always more room for more competition and Im sure in a few years time the next big social network will be on the up and they will look to be unbeatable.

However with that said, unless you have a killer strategy to get people to join it will not be successfull. Look at Myspace, they are almost a household name, have/had the backing of some very influencial / rich backers to push it to its former glory and they could not mke a dent in Facebook. Also remember that Facebook is hardly (if at all) paying its own way at the minute let alone making a profit.

I would be more inclined to find a niche and try to position your social network as the go to place for people interested in that, like a forum.

jimbo2779, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  3. Gianni Palazzo

Gianni Palazzo Member

Best Answers:
    I think the internet has space for everybody here.
    It depends on your ideas to make them succeed online.

I don't think facebook is going to be on top of the world
    forever. Soon or later is going to loose its popularity around
    the world.

We'll see what the future holds for the social media.

Gianni Palazzo, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  4. Mick2012

Mick2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would never think about starting a social network right now. With the current major social networks like Facebook, Google+ and Twitter, there's a 98% chance you won't make it.

Mick2012, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  5. 44_Gears

44_Gears Peon

Best Answers:
    Facebook is huge. It has a lot to offer. It would be really hard to compete with them. It's definitely possible, though. You simply need offer everything that Facebook offers + something more.

44_Gears, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  6. anxjuz86

anxjuz86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think it would be a great idea to create a brand new social network at the moment since you'll required to invest a big money to do advertising for brand awareness. My advice, just forget it and move on to another profitable projects.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    anxjuz86, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  7. Mick2012

Mick2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Gears. And it's pretty hard to come up with something unique. But, it's not impossible to get done. I think with a very solid team you can make it. I think if you have some very intelligent programmers and some marketers you can be successful.

Mick2012, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  8. Dom0688

Dom0688 Peon

Best Answers:
    They are a huge competitors with a huge money in the bank and invested in their futured projects to challange with at least top 3 social networks.

The only way to beat them is come up with a new idea, that the world has never ever seen or heard of it. + has a little money in your pocket to keep a service up.

A next variant is to build a social network locally. For your town/city/country. In that way, you can always surive because its based locally, that everybody can know it.

Keeping fingers across

Dom0688, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  9. ervins

ervins Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The internet is big you don't have to be a facebook do be doing pretty good.

ervins, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  10. ArchAxis

ArchAxis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want an in-depth answer to why Facebook has won social networking forever more download and read Seth Godin's free ebook Idea Virus from http://www.sethgodin.com/ideavirus/01-getit.html

Once you're done with it you'll have a good idea how to create your own idea virus.

ArchAxis, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  11. coolnawz03

coolnawz03 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Agreed that Facebook is largest social network. But before Facebook becoming a giant . Other networks existed and they continue to do so in all times. For the issue of the survival on new networks as said earlier there should be a strong idea to attract people to join it. Take an example of India. The countries one third population has only got internet access. And only certain % of that population know what is Facebook. The younger generation of India has great enthusiasm to launch there own social networks. With the availability of script available in the market more often.

coolnawz03, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  12. webmaster.

webmaster. Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi ALL,
    Sure, more and more people become a active browsers in Internet.
    The Social Networking Users always high and present Toppers may not be toppers in future. If any new SN site will come with better options defiantly the people should divert to that. So the Need of New one is always need at Web world.

Thanks
    Webmaster.

webmaster., Jan 31, 2013 IP
  13. CharlieL

CharlieL Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's definitely more room for more social networks. Personally I think country specific networks could be the next big thing.

CharlieL, Jan 31, 2013 IP