1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Crowdsourcing

Discussion in 'General Business' started by LewisBell, Feb 8, 2013.

I'm running a project out of my own pocket at the minute and, honestly, won't be able to afford to keep it online for another year if I don't end up with a job after I graduate from university this summer.

So... to make sure it is online, I'm considering using crowdsourcing.

I've thought about making the website have a payment structure but I don't want to devalue my product by sticking a price tag on it prematurely (ironic, I know).

I've also thought about asking my members to donate to the website to keep it up and running... though I'm not sure how many of them would. I've never received any support related questions, emails etc so I'm unsure about how my userbase would actually react.

Crowdsourcing genuinely seems the best way to go, and I might even get a little extra-exposure out of it at the same time.

Any opinions of crowsourcing or personal stories that I ought to hear before I go ahead with it?

LewisBell, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  2. ThePiixelMonster

ThePiixelMonster Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    My opinion is... Go for it!

I considered the same for a project of mine a year ago, I didn't go forward with it because I wanted to gather more documentation and information on the project, I have been continuously working on it and have it ready to attempt crowd sourcing myself too but I have put it aside around three weeks ago to attempt a less costly project idea of mine. Ultimately, you won't know how well it will do until you try it. I think it could work out but I don't know much about your site at all so I can't share what I would think about slapping a price tag on it.

I have friends that have used Kickstarted and been successful with it and that was where I was planning on trying to raise funds for my other project. Projects seem to do well on there whether they are intended to charge for the end product or give it away.

I would advise you to take some time on preparing your project for such a thing though... Often you might like to add a video to help explain it too... for those with money that hate to read lol.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help but I thought that I would share my opinions at the very least. Also with Kickstarter and a few other crowd source funding sites if you don;t meet the required funds it doesn't go through and you're able to start again after, so if worst comes to worst your project doesn't meet its goal but if you ask for too little you could get funding and not be able to carry out the project to completion so appropriately work out the costs and funds that you will require and setup some good rewards if certain boundaries in your funding are broken and you will probably have more success than you had first thought, but again I don't know about your particular project so I cannot provide specific advice.

ThePiixelMonster, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  3. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can always throw a "Donate here" button. You'd be quite surprised by how many people will pay if they like your site and actually use it. I did it on a site of mine a while back because I read about it and I thought there is no way in hell anyone would give me any money. At the end of the week I had a grand in my paypal. I have also donated to sites I get use out of too. Just a small simple button. If its all over the place I wouldnt donate, but a nice simple off to the side one I would.

superrichguy, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  4. JPDevuyst

JPDevuyst Active Member

Best Answers:
    Crowd sourcing is definitely a great way to be keeping your projects going. Besides a "donate" button, you could consider making an actual crowd funding project for your website from websites such as indiegogo, kickstarter, or rockethub. There are people who get their projects funded by 1000s of people, and with small donations that really adds up! Another great way to increase traffic to your website is to use pinterest. Pinning pictures, items, or graphics from your site can really help you out in ad revenue!

JPDevuyst, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  5. sery kouma kone

sery kouma kone Member

Best Answers:
    I was amazed to find this amazing tool. Not only that it gives you more option while looking for the best, but it is affordable!!!

sery kouma kone, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  6. cam_ault

cam_ault Member

Best Answers:
    Crowd sourcing is THEE best way to go--DO IT.

cam_ault, Oct 1, 2013 IP