1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Curly Whirly Stuff

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by Astroman, Jan 17, 2008.

Are there any tutorials for drawing that curly stuff that you see everywhere these days, like on here: http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=395

I've tried messing around with the pen tool a bit but it's difficult, so I thought they must be another way?

Astroman, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  2. SecureWebDev

SecureWebDev Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can use illustrator or photoshop's pen tool to create that `curly stuff` :D

SecureWebDev, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  3. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are using Illustrator, there is a 'spiral' tool.
    Click the 'line' icon found right below the 'pen' icon in the tool palette. This will pop-up a few more options, one of them being a spiral tool. You can adjust the number of segments, size, and spiral direction if you just click on the canvas with the tool. (don't draw a shape, just click anywhere and a dialog box will pop-up with options)

After your spiral is drawn you can all brush effects to the stroke and other accents is needed.

If you are using Photoshop, you can go about it in a totally different way as seen here. (it is really a tutorial for getting text to spiral, but the first few steps will show you how to draw a simple spiral and convert it to a path.)

eruct, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  4. Astroman

Astroman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks eruct, I only have Fireworks and Photoshop so I'll have a look at the Photoshop method. There is a spiral in Fireworks but you can't alter it very much I think. People keep telling me to get Illustrator and I've kept on resisting, one of these days though... :)

Astroman, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  5. graphics337

graphics337 Peon

Best Answers:
    There are brushes that are those shapes, I've got brushes for days and days, if i find it, ill let you know

graphics337, Jan 17, 2008 IP
  6. Astroman

Best Answers:
    Cheers, that'd be cool. :)

Astroman, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  7. graphics337

graphics337 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey astro, There are some of those shapes in Photoshop under custom shapes. I am still hunting through brushes.

graphics337, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  8. Astroman

Best Answers:
    To be honest I haven't used Photoshop all that much. I've had CS2 for over a year since it came out, but I've been using Fireworks for years and I'm still not totally at home with Photoshop. I really should get properly into it I guess, it cost me a fortune after all. :)

Astroman, Jan 18, 2008 IP
  9. graphics337

graphics337 Peon

Best Answers:
    Custom Shapes are under the Square Tool Flyout menu, looks like a blob. Then, at the top under the file, edit...... theres the shapes drop down that you can select other custom shapes from. THen theres an arrow in that box where you can load other shape types. Just do all and you can see every shape

graphics337, Jan 18, 2008 IP