1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Custom CMS - advice needed

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by oliva, Oct 20, 2010.

In the beginning of 2010 I bought PR4 gaming website with custom CMS (SQL/PHP based CMS integrated with vBulletin/forums) which turned out to have a sloppy code. Since than I was paying endlessly for bugs fixing, changing editor, upgraded ($400) to vBulletin Publishing suite and so on. It did not solve any problems. So I was told by a programmer I was working with at that time it's better to re-write code which will cost me min $3000. At the same time I was told there is another solution - switch to standard CMS like Wordpress or Joomla. I am not that tech person and I don't want to repeat my mistakes again so I decided to ask advice of the professional/experienced people - what will be the optimum solution in my situation?

- re-write code of custom CMS (too expensive)
    - switch to standard CMS - which one will be better, how much it may cost?
    - in a case of switching - how to make sure site will not loose PR, backlinks and so on?
    - where it's better to hire a person who can do that professionally?

For any case my website is psbeyond.com. Right now I’ve got new strange bug that causes all "n"s to be replaced with line breaks and made majority of my articles unreadable. It looks like that:

“style="fo
    t-family: 'Times New Roma
    '; fo
    t-size: small;">Not o
    ly is Tumble o
    e of the best Move titles, but it is o
    e of the best games I have played I”

I will greatly appreciate any advice.

oliva, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  2. SamT

SamT Peon

Best Answers:
    Line breaks in text are often represented as "\n" in many programing languages. It looks like someone did a wacky search and replace. If you are bringing money with this site, you may want to consider this: Find a PHP developer who works with a specific CMS and hire them to take a CMS like Drupal or Joomla and modify/extend it for your needs.

SamT, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  3. oliva

oliva Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot SamT, I will consider it

oliva, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  4. ovidiu77

ovidiu77 Peon

Best Answers:
    SamT's advice is great. You may also consider Alfresco as a CMS solution, though Drupal and Joomla are more common.

kindest,
    ovidiu

ovidiu77, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  5. oliva

oliva Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Ovidiu77, I'll try it also

oliva, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  6. bnandika

bnandika Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Go for Drupal, it's a very flexible open source CMS. For example see crackberry.com, it's a huge Drupal site with more than 2.6 million members, integrate with vBulletin and ASP e-commerce.

The best place to find the professional Drupal developer is in Drupal paid service section.

Hope this help.

bnandika, Oct 20, 2010 IP