1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Custom implementation of a social member system

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Nattsurfaren, May 24, 2016.

Hi everyone!
    This is my first post.
    I have been thinking of building a web service that should be able to handle a member database with login and register support.
    I want to build this using the divi wordpress theme. I know there is different methods to solve this but I would to get some
    recommendation of doing this the smart way. Where would you start?
    I have been learning wordpress theme and plugin development but not planning to do anything serious with it until now.
    I would appreciate any information on this that can help me.

Nattsurfaren, May 24, 2016 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Divi is sort of boring. What are you actually trying to accomplish here?

N.

Nigel Lew, May 24, 2016 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Also, since Wordpress already have a working members-register, it's just about finding the right plugin for registering new ones. Depending on what you're planning to do, I would probably not use Wordpress for this, but... yeah.

PoPSiCLe, May 24, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Wordpress will give you all the signup functionality but if you need to extend it things get a bit messy.
    Any framework or cms will give you the member management though, sometimes out of the box, sometimes via a tutorial
    Before committing to a particular system I'd want to know what else is going on. Why do people join? What does the site need to do for them? What admin tasks are needed?

sarahk, May 24, 2016 IP
  5. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good point. I took note the title has social in it. I have had to monkey with buddypress more times than I care to recount. Its a hot, convoluted mess.

I have had some luck with this though http://codecanyon.net/item/userpro-user-profiles-with-social-login/5958681 it could get a tad pricier obviously depending on what you have to do but its entirely modular and quite nice looking as well.

6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Pricier, perhaps, but you couldn't write it for $29

sarahk, May 24, 2016 IP
  7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    True. That simply just gives folks a coherent profile as well. Private messaging and all that other stuff is an addon. He has a bit of a racket going on lol..

8. Nattsurfaren

Nattsurfaren Peon

Best Answers:
    Buddypress seams nice. I'm experimenting with that one. I downloaded a plugin with register that didn't work. I picked the function responsible and created my own short code feature that seams to work. Need to convert it to bootstrap though. It really hard to do anything with wordpress compared to just plain php. Very hard to get creative i think. For example I'm struggling with controlling menus with shortcode using php but that seams to be a dead end so I need to do it with jquery or something. I posted another thread about that issue.

Nattsurfaren, May 27, 2016 IP