1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

D-Link software needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by TwisterMc, Feb 27, 2005.

Any chance someone has the install software for the D-Link DI-713P wireless router? I have the router, however the install disk is missing and I can't get the installer off the d-link site.

Can anyone help? Suggestions?

TwisterMc, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  2. Tuning

Tuning Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have you checked the manufacture's site ?

Tuning, Feb 27, 2005 IP
  3. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Yes. I checked the d-link site and couldn't find it.

TwisterMc, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  4. msaad

msaad Peon

Best Answers:
    msaad, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  5. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Such Great Heights, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  6. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    That link doesn't work for me, however my friend found the install cd. I'm so happy now. :D

7. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Back to square one. The install CD was the wrong one. :(

8. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Such Great Heights, Feb 28, 2005 IP
  9. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Now the link works. I hope I can install it this time!!

TwisterMc, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  10. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Nope. That was a print server not the router software.

11. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    OK what is the installer for?
    You should be able to access the router's web based configuration at IP address 192.168.0.1

If it's not for the print server, what does the software allow you to do?

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've even seen a DI-713P.

If the router is not responding to the IP address of 192.168.0.1 someone might have changed it's LAN IP address. You can try powering it on and holding in the reset button for 30 seconds to allow it to reset to factory defaults. Then you should be able to access it via 192.168.0.1
    Just make sure your computer is on the same subnet. ie. 192.168.0.XXX

Can you get to the web based administration and this install software you are looking for does something else?

Such Great Heights, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  12. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    What I want to accomplish is the use of the wireless router to replace my old wireless router. I don't care about the print server. :)

I tried going to 192.168.0.1 and it couldn't be found. So I'll try the reset button you suggested. Also, I have no idea what subnet I have.

The reason I ask for an installer is that I looked at the company website and found a PDF manual. It said I was to install something. I don't know. I just want it to work.

13. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    You only need to install something if you are using the print server. And that's only if you don't have Win 2K or Win XP. The print server "app" is just an LPR driver, or something to that effect, and since Win 2K it's been built into windows.

To setup the router to work on your network you need to access it via web browser at http://192.168.0.1 (default).
    And to be able to access this IP address your PC needs to have an IP in the same subnet.
    You can check your PC's IP address a number of ways, but one way is to run command prompt (Win 2K and up = Start->Run->type "cmd" and hit enter) (Win98 and older = Start->Run->command->type "command" and hit enter).
    In the command prompt type "ipconfig /all" (sans quotes) for Win 2K and up
    OR
    type "winipcfg /all" (sans quotes) for Win 98 and older.

This should show your PC IP address.
    To make sure you are on the same subnet set your PC with a static IP address of 192.168.0.25

After setting your PC to this IP address you should be able to access the IP address of 192.168.0.1
    The router should be at this IP address by default, if not try holding the reset button for 30 seconds with the power plugged in and it should reset to factory defaults.

If that doesn't work you can do a "super dooper reset" by having the power to the router plugged in, holding down the reset button for 30 seconds, unplug the power (while keeping the reset button pushed in) then releasing the reset button after plugging the power back in and counting to 10.

BTW the DI-713P is pretty dated all ready and is only 802.11b so your wireless speeds will only be 11Mbps at best. And really only 5Mbps actual data throughput. 11Mbps is the bandwidth. But considering that your Internet connection is only 3Mbps at most (just a guess) this shouldn't cause any internet slow downs.

For ease of use and faster speeds I'd get the DI-624 from D-Link. It's about $70 street and lower if you buy a refurb. Or if you into gaming you should get the DGL-4300 Wireless Gaming Router because it's got gaming priority and gigabit ports. But it's like $150 right now.

Ok enough of that. :)

Such Great Heights, Mar 1, 2005 IP
  14. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    Ok. So the IP address is wrong.

Now can you tell me how to change it? You forgot to mention how to do that and I'm not PC smart. ;)

Oh and it's W2K

Thanks

15. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    Such Great Heights, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  16. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause. I hooked it up last night and typed in ipconfig /all and it said there was no cord or router hooked up. So i checked and change all cords and it still gave me the same message. :(

You help has been awesome though.

TwisterMc, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  17. Such Great Heights

Such Great Heights Peon

Best Answers:
    "ipconfig /all" just tells you your Ethernet Adapter info/settings.
    I don't think this would know if you have a router hooked up, or even if there is a cable plugged into your network card or not.
    So I'm a little confused when you say it told you there was no cord or router hooked up.

Are you sure the 713P router you have was working before you got it?

Do the lights light up on the router and on your network card when you plug in tha cable that connects your computer to the router? They should, as long as the power to each device is on. If not then either your network card is bad, that particular port on the router is bad, or the cable is bad. I'd guess the first thing to go would be the router port, since network cards don't often go bad, and cables are hard to ruin if they just sit there.

Is the 713P you have one that's all metal with two antennas, or is it the grey plastic with black-ish front bezel?

Such Great Heights, Mar 2, 2005 IP
  18. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what it looks like as I don't remember and it's not with me. ;)

The lights do light up and blink blink blink and I was told it works. I tried holding in the reset button to see if it had settings in its memory but nothing happned that I know of. Even after holding it down for 30 seconds.

TwisterMc, Mar 2, 2005 IP