1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Data Execution Prevention (WinXP/Win2K3)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by J.D., Apr 10, 2005.

WinXP SP2 and Win2K3 SP1 sport new hardware-based technology (called Data Execution Prevention or DEP) that greatly minimizes chances of buffer overflow attacks. Using this technology, the OS separates code and data and when hackers try to execute their code by sending oversized requests, they code ends up in the data memory and simply cannot be executed.

Now to the question - all my Intel-based machines, even those I bought quite recently, do not support this feature. I am wondering if anybody has hardware that supports this technology and if Windows works well when this feature is turned on (i.e. all standard services, popular third-party prgrams, etc, run without any problems). Here's how to veryfy if you are using this (only if you are using WinXP SP2 or Win2K3 SP1):

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > Data Execution Prevention

At the bottom of the dialog there will be a note if your CPU supports DEP. Two radio buttons at the top will tell you if you are using DEP system-wide or only for selected programs.

J.D.

J.D., Apr 10, 2005 IP