1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digg does NOT generate hits!

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Knewber, Jan 17, 2009.

I hear a lot of people say that by submitting sites to Digg they will get a huge amount of traffic. This could not be further from the truth.

Digg is no longer based on the quality of your submissions, but by how many friends you have on the site (limited exceptions). You can submit the best article in the world, but if you have no friends, you get no exposure, and you get no Diggs, meaning that your submission dies.

If you look at Digg front page submissions, I would bet that almost all of them are submitted by the top 200 users. These top 200 users don't even have to try to get Diggs, their social media pals Digg the articles up almost immediately.

In the future, I would love to see Digg die as a marketing tool because it is just being manipulated to the advantage of the minority of power holding users.

So, post your opinions, have you ever generated decent exposure from Digg, or got an article on the front page? Do you agree with me or disagree?

Knewber, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  2. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    You're right Digg doesn't generate hits if your article doesn't hit the mainpage.
    Then again who needs the crappy Digg traffic anyway? Use Digg to index new URLs fast.

zexy, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  3. sanjeewamad

sanjeewamad Peon

Best Answers:
    zexy is right. I am also using digg mainly for indexing purposes of my site.
    It is good to use in that way because it has a higher rank and also it is producing do-follow links.

sanjeewamad, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  4. Knewber

Knewber Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, you two are right, that is basically the only way Digg is beneficial. I just wish people would stop thinking that it is a great way to build traffic because it is not.

Knewber, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  5. JosephineX

JosephineX Peon

Best Answers:
    Its good for indexing, everything else is crap since you need to get on the front page and we all know who is in charge of that.

JosephineX, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  6. joliber

joliber Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, digg can help our new posts (urls) to be indexed very fast.. at least for seo purpose..

joliber, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  7. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    The only way it is really helping to get traffic is via search engines.
    If your niche is very popular, the SE traffic will go to Digg, then they will click to your site through that.

At first, I thought posting there was taking traffic away from my site...until looking more closely at the statistics.

Claymation, Jan 17, 2009 IP
    fundu likes this.
  8. Knewber

Knewber Peon

Best Answers:
    I never thought of it that way Claymation, but I can see where you are coming from. It is better to have a person click on a Digg link and have a chance at coming through to your site then to have them go to a competitors site :).

Knewber, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  9. Mihai

Mihai Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just make sure you have tons of unique and interesting content for your users on your website. On top of that, add few social bookmarking buttons near that content. This will make it natural and you wont have to worry about anything else.

As soon as you stop being natural Google will notice it :D

Mihai, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  10. primeelite

primeelite Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep I have placed a few stories on the front page for some of my websites and I think the CTR was 0.14%. It basically ate up the sites bandwidth with little to no effect on overall cashflow or even backlinks. Digg is kind of a myth in my opinion because so many webmasters think it is the holy grail but then once they have had a few articles dugg to a front page they cry about how they made no money and it crashed their servers. Social bookmarking can help but overall its not that great.

primeelite, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  11. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    When you really think about it, the point is NOT to make the front page...aka "Kiss of Death"....for your server costs.

I'm very comfortable with getting the redirected traffic from relevant searches, rather than curiosity clickers on Digg.

So, overall it is very helpful.

Let me point out that most of my articles on Digg have no more than 1-3 votes, almost no comments, yet they bring over a thousand visitors a week to my site(s).

Claymation, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  12. HardKore

HardKore Peon

Best Answers:
    digg could get you a few hits on the time you digg the post, but that's about it...

HardKore, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  13. dmi

dmi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unless you hit the homepage, you won't get any traffic from Digg. Anyway, Digg sucks.

dmi, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  14. Giamatti

Giamatti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i just use Digg for linkbulding Purposes, since it probably is marked as an authority site.

Giamatti, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  15. Coach Jeff

Coach Jeff Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is the only way that Digg is useful. Anyone that comes from Digg's front page is just going to spend a few seconds on your site and click back to Digg to look for the next story.

Coach Jeff, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  16. avonlee1983

avonlee1983 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's never had any luck with Digg.

avonlee1983, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  17. Knewber

Knewber Peon

Best Answers:
    I have kind of changed my mind. As Claymation has stated, it is good because the Digg submission ranks high in the search rankings. This then redirects traffic to your site.

Knewber, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  18. freddie_fireman

freddie_fireman Peon

Best Answers:
    freddie_fireman, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  19. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Frankly speaking, if you use digg to drive traffic to your website, you need many digg's friend.
    Your article must be get digg as soon as possible so that it can stay at the homepage. This is the only way to drive traffic to your website

lifeplayer, Jan 17, 2009 IP
  20. technolarity

technolarity Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are all losers.
    Reaching Digg Frontpage is easy, at least for me.

technolarity, Jan 17, 2009 IP