1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digg Removing Proxy Sites?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Letcha, May 4, 2007.

I have two proxy sites, both of which I submitted to Digg. I had around 10 diggs on each one. I didn't lie about what they were in the description or do anything that would make me think they'd be removed. But today someone pointed out to me that my Digg links weren't working. I checked and both links seemed to be removed. I tried to login to Digg, and it simply says 'Sorry - bad IP address'. I understand if they're trying to 'clean up' the site, so to speak, and get rid of the (probably) thousands of proxy people have put on there, but a warning or something would have been nice - Now I'm banned from the site! Has this happened to anyone else?

Letcha, May 4, 2007 IP
  2. JPRuss

JPRuss Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope but thanks for letting me now, I will being keeping my eyes open myself.

Sorry to hear about your trouble.

JP.

JPRuss, May 4, 2007 IP
  3. Letcha

Letcha Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just tried to login via a proxy, and I got this:

This Account is Disabled
    Your account has been disabled due to misuse.

Awesome.

Letcha, May 4, 2007 IP
  4. Letcha

Letcha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not just here to 'bump' the thread, I legitimately wanna know, has this happened to anyone else here? I wasn't blatantly spamming the site or anything like that so I'm still sort of surprised it happened.

Letcha, May 8, 2007 IP
  5. tke71709

tke71709 Peon

Best Answers:
    The better question is why would Digg want to have proxy sites listed on their site?

The point of the site is not to advertise another dime a dozen site like a proxy, I'm surprised it took them this long to ban them.

tke71709, May 8, 2007 IP
  6. Letcha

Letcha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well that's not the question I was asking. I was curious why mine were removed yet there are still tons on there, because I didn't blatantly spam my sites or anything, I only posted them where proxies were already being discussed. Thanks though.

Letcha, May 8, 2007 IP
  7. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digg seems to be going crazy. They always try to find a way to flight with other webmasters. :rolleyes:

maldives, May 8, 2007 IP
  8. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, the are normal, they just want to fight nasty spammer like OP

ahkip, May 8, 2007 IP
  9. Letcha

Letcha Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're calling me a nasty spammer - Which is fine, but I find it slightly ironic that you have 'I stumble and del.icio.us for free' in your signature. If my posting 2 proxy sites in relevant comments threads on Digg was spam, then what exactly do you consider that? :D

Letcha, May 9, 2007 IP
  10. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I do it for free doesn't mean i stumble everything. If you look at my post in those stumble thread, i stressed i only stumble quality site.

My profile is gold :D. I submit quite a few of story got dugg and got over 300 stumble friend. i aren't going to trash my account :D

ahkip, May 9, 2007 IP
  11. Letcha

Letcha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, well all I'm saying is I don't feel I was spamming. But I don't expect a Digg admin to take time out of their busy day to look at each and every proxy site listed and determine if it's worthy of staying on the site or not. Anyway, thanks for keeping it civil.

Letcha, May 9, 2007 IP
  12. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am not accusing you for spamming since i didn't see the story you submitted. However, the aim of digg is for it user to share "news" and "story". Submitting yet another proxy site doesn't make the cut IMO (unless your's is really special from other"

ahkip, May 9, 2007 IP
  13. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why would you want to submit a proxy site to digg?
    Isn't digg about news sharing? What is so newsworthy about a proxy site?

ablaye, May 9, 2007 IP
  14. Letcha

Letcha Active Member

Best Answers:
    For the same reason that thousands of people submit proxies to stumbleupon, del.ici.us, and all the other social news/link sites - for traffic and general exposure. And I didn't say I submitted it. I posted my sites in comments threads on stories where others had submitted their proxies. I guess this thread has become kind of pointless at this point, since I didn't get a single response to my actual question - I didn't create the thread to discuss ethics or motivations... Oh well.

Letcha, May 9, 2007 IP