1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Digital Camera Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by addaminsane, Aug 24, 2007.

Hi, i'm looking to buy a digital camera in the range of 200 - 300 dollars. I was wandering if anyone might have any recommendations for a great quality camera in that price range. By quality, i mean i'm looking to take my little sisters senior pictures with it. I have pretty good photoshop skills so I can adjust but would like a good camera with ability to shoot a high frames per second i guess.

most likely not compact, but i've noticed alot of new hybrids between compact and slr coming out. Any recommendations for me? thanks for the info.

addaminsane, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  2. revdesigner

revdesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you pay for what you get, but canon has the S3 IS for about 300, i used to have a kodak point and shoot but bought a canon rebel xti, and there is a huge difference. You wont get a huge fps (frames per second) with a 300$ camera, the one i mentioned is 2.3 max fps(the 300$ one). 6 mega pixels

here's some more info on it, my experiences though, stay away from kodak...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s3is.asp

revdesigner, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  3. lpstong

lpstong Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I had a Samsung 3.1 pixel which was ok for the pricing of $100+. I moved on the Kodak Point, which was in the $130 range. I have seen plenty of Cannon's do excellent work at a reasonable price.

I would suggest to do a Search Engine search as well. To get site reviews.

Camera Clubs might help with your question as well.

You check out Consumer Reports of reviews of Digital Cameras as well. This one might be more helpful.

lpstong, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  4. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you need the high FPS fopr the senior pics or for somehting else:confused:

P&S cameras in that price range will be anything but fast....shutter lag :mad:

Another avenue to consider is buying a used DSLR.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-Digital-R...yZ107908QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I used to have the Rebel (300D) before I went to the XTi and the original Rebel is solid. I wouldn't recommend that unless you are serious about photography though.

timsdd, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  5. WPOSolutions

WPOSolutions Active Member

Best Answers:
    If their still around a Fuji S7000 is a crackin camera.

WPOSolutions, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  6. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    I had the FP6900 prior to the Rebel, that's a solid cam too but quite old by now!

timsdd, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  7. addaminsane

addaminsane Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for all this good information. I had a sony cybershot and it didn't take that great of pics and then it quit working. I am pretty serious about photography, but am not totally anal about the camera yet, i've used a friends 1500 dollar camera a few times, however, can't afford a whole lot. Basically, was wandering if anyone had any good advice on a camera in my price range that takes quality pics, basically a great bargain. Hard to find specific stuff on google, especially when sites all manipulate keywords with seo tactics.

Revdesigner, thanks for that canon powershot link. Thats looks like very close to what i'm looking for. Anyone have any experience with this camera?

http: //www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/

addaminsane, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  8. Cheap SEO Services

Cheap SEO Services <------DoFollow Backlinks

Best Answers:
    I have had a Panasonic Lumix TZ3 for the last 2 months. I love this camera. It's fast, it's lightweight, it has everything including several shock modes for taking still on the move or with shaky hands. 7.1 Mp with 10 x Optical Zoom. The Leica lens brings out fantastic shots.

Bought it for AU$750.00. I think it's great value.

Cheap SEO Services, Aug 24, 2007 IP
  9. revdesigner

revdesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    I shouldve mentioned in my reply to you, the fps number shown is MAX, even with my rebel xti i cant always get 3fps, so it depends on your settings. If you have a best buy around go try out the camera there. Thats what i did for my xti and then bought it online cheaper than what best buy wanted.

That link i gave you also has reviews of people who own it, what their pro's and con's are, and sample images taken with it.

revdesigner, Aug 25, 2007 IP
  10. ipodfreek

ipodfreek Peon

Best Answers:
    Awesome quality for the money. Great brand!

ipodfreek, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  11. addaminsane

Best Answers:
    This has been a helpful thread, i appreciate all the information. I noticed that wal-mart carries both the Canon power shot S3 IS and the fuji S7000, both of which were recommended in this thread and in my price range. I was able to get an okay look at them at wal-mart, but I noticed even wal-mart can't beat alot of the prices i've found on the Web.

Now, narrowing it down, Which camera do you think would be a better bargain? The Canon Powershot S3 IS, or the Fuji S7000?

I noticed the Canon has a video taking feature that is also dually noted in many revies.

addaminsane, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  12. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    Canon hands down I think. It has optical image stabilization for one! http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is.html

Canon has really good performance when using high ISO's

whereas the s7000

What I didn't care for:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_s7000-review/

timsdd, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  13. addaminsane

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks for that info... This forum pretty much rocks.

addaminsane, Aug 26, 2007 IP
  14. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    OHHHHHHHHHH and I just noticed, I think the Canon is 12x optical zoom and the Fuji only 6....Canon FTW!!!

optical zoom is key. digital zoom is worthless so pay no mind to those numbers.

one other thing, AFAIK the Canon lens is fixed...does not protrude like the Fuji one does. That's also a + for Canon over Fuji.

Superior optics and sensor by the sounds of it at least for these two models. I would def go with Canon on this one.

timsdd, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  15. revdesigner

revdesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    Betwen the 2, Canon for sure. The canon lens on that will stick out when zooming, unless i'm not understanding what you mean Tim. I met a guy awhile back taking pictures with the canon and he really likes it, just like above the 12x was his deciding factor. I don't know if you'll get that far into it but i think you can add filters as well to the lens of this one.

You'll also have more options regarding iso's if you go with the canon.

Fuji's iso settings = ISO sensitivity (Auto, 200, 400, 800)
    Canon's iso " = ISO sensitivity (Auto, 80 ,100, 200, 400, 800)

revdesigner, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  16. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Before purchasing a Canon... I would suggest doing some research on their "E18" or "lens error" problems first. I am just finding out about this with a PowerShot we got for Christmas.

Many, many owners who have taken care of their camera are having the same problem and Canon won't cover this under their warranty. They keep making excuses.

I used to be a big Canon fan and own a 1980's F1.

scoopy82, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  17. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    good call, I see that now on the lens protruding...seen here on a cool QTVR

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s3is_qtvr.html

yep, ISO sensitivity a lot better there with the Canon :D

timsdd, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  18. revdesigner

revdesigner Peon

Best Answers:
    Everything i read about e18 ends up coming down to the lens getting stuck, in almost all cases its because someone either dropped it or the lens was kept from going in/out by another object (being turned on in a camera bag, lens pushed in by hand, forgien objects (sand/dirt) in the lens housing etc etc)

Supposivly this error has to do with the gears inside the lens housing.

Edit: forgot to post this but if you still have the camera try this..
    http://www.e18error.com/repair.html

revdesigner, Aug 27, 2007 IP
  19. addaminsane

Best Answers:
    so you guys are saying that the lense thing is something to be careful about? or something that is almost guaranteed to happen with the cannon. is this specifically with the Powershot S3 IS? When this lens malfunction goes wrong, what exactly happens to the camera? is it rendered usless, or does it just screw up the zoom?

addaminsane, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  20. timsdd

timsdd Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure, it sounds like if outside factors are entered into the equation then it's a possibility but I would have to think that of any camera.

I've actually done it to my Canon Elph like 12 times now but it still works fine...much smaller lens mind you.

timsdd, Aug 29, 2007 IP