1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do Automated E-mail Responses do more harm than good?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by johnpace, Mar 18, 2011.

I received an automated response from a software company who shall remained nameless. I receive a ton of emails a day, much like the rest of the world and if it's one thing I don't like, it's automated responses. I understand a business wants to stay in touch with their clients and they might not have the time to do so, but it raises a poignant question; does an automated response do more damage than good?

Here in this message, The subject line was, "is everything ok?". This company decided to give a personal spin on their automated emails. I decided to have a little fun with her, I haven't heard back since.. check it out!

From: Victoria / CompanyX.com [mailto:victoria@CompanyX.com]

Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 3:01 PM

To: John Pace

Subject: Is everything ok?

Hi John,

I wanted to check in again because it’s been two weeks since you started creating your first campaign with us but you’re yet to publish it. Is everything going ok? If you’ve encountered a problem and need help with the set-up process, please let me know. I also wanted to again provide you with some resources that you might find helpful as you continue creating your campaign:

How to create a successful campaign

[There was a URL here, I took it out]

Next steps once you’ve published your campaign [There was another URL here, I took it out also]

Remember, if you want one our our expert team members to set up your campaign for you or to review your campaign, we do offer this as a premium service:
    [There was one last URL here, I took that out]

Thanks again,

Victoria

–

Victoria

Getting too much email? Visit [ Another URL ] to opt out of these reminder emails.

AND
    here’s my reponse, note the subject line of Victoria’s email before reading…

—–Original Message—–

Everythings not ok victoria,

I’ve been abducted by alien space pirates.

I managed to steal back my cell phone but in the process I had to take a couple of them down. It’s terrifying in here.

They’re running ungodly tests and I’m not sure when my number is up,

Oh no here they come, I gotta go!

Stay in touch!

You’re my only hope!

-J

johnpace, Mar 18, 2011 IP
  2. pikespeakhiker

pikespeakhiker Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they are of limited usage. I still believe there are certain points in the interaction where they MAY be useful, but have to be carefully crafted. Most companies seem to fail on both of those points.

pikespeakhiker, Mar 19, 2011 IP