1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do I need a CMS

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by macdesign, Aug 28, 2005.

I'm planning on a new site for a specific industry that is poorly represented on the net. The problem is that I need to start now, without knowing what I really want to do. It needs start up within a month, and be fully developed within three.

I need to create content, build up PR, then I want to sell ads for the websites and/or services of people in the industry and for software and/or servivices related to them.

It might include news, though I doubt there is much.

It would includes notifications of conferences, meetings and courses, that I can manually pull from existing mailing lists.

It would include articles I write, and later on, articles that othere might write in order to get their name in lights.

Initially I would run Adsense, but might remove that if I get enough ongoing targetted ads.

It would need to include a forum once it gets going.

I would like to have an optional paid membership, so that the members can have access to a database that lists theirs skills and update it. I would want a search function to make selective searches by skill for propective employers [actaully workl is done by subcontracting / freelance]

I want to be able to have banner ads, rotating banner ads, classified ads, etc.

I might want to have link exchange.

I don't need shared update acxess, other than the skills list, no one else would be updating the site.

Do mambo/drupal etc. have these features?

I'm looking at a Drupal and Mambo demos online through http://opensourcecms.com/ , and Drupal does not seem to have any way of adding ads, mambo looks like it might.

One more thing, If I decide that Mambo looks good, do I go with them, or follow the fork to those that jumped ship.

macdesign, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  2. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    you can put adsense ads in durpal if you want to put them

programmer, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Take Mambo, follow the fork. It's good now, should be getting better.

You can get the ads in easily. You can do the articles, events etc. It's really very good.

sarahk, Aug 28, 2005 IP
  4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I took the plunge, I have to start somehwer I got an older version of Mambo, cause I could not find the new forked version yet. Download an install maybe took 15 minutes. That's pretty good.

I probably will play around with a few different CMS's - I will also try Dripal and maybe TikiWiki

macdesign, Aug 28, 2005 IP