1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do I need a Content Management System?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by stompergames, Aug 11, 2008.

Hey guys. I am creating a new website with a niche I know I'll be able to write articles about. I have never used or implemented a CMS before but I do know that Wordpress is king, and if I were to use a CMS, I would probably use that one.

I am wondering, do I need a CMS? I plan on writing a few articles for online article submission to help with backlinks and SEO. I am also planning on having a few articles on the web site itself (that may be similar). I plan linking to most if not all the articles from the home page (initially), which I'm hoping will be around 5. I don't really need Wordpress, do I? I plan on occasionally adding new articles and I then plan on updating the front page links to include the latest articles.

If I were to use any system, would it be wordpress? I know from a web designer (and coder's) standpoint it is important to learn how to implement a CMS. But I don't think I need to spend time learning that right now for this website.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks guys.

stompergames, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  2. sherl0ck

sherl0ck Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want a really head start, please choose wordpress, it's simple and has a lot of plugin

sherl0ck, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  3. Nxiel

Nxiel Peon

Best Answers:
    CMS are always a good way to go when creating a website. Whether you need one or not, you never know. I would strongly suggest Wordpress. It sounds like the perfect CMS for what you need and as previously mentioned, lots and lots of plugins.

Nxiel, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  4. stompergames

stompergames Peon

Best Answers:
    So it will allow me to have an automatically featured articles on the front page, and update and add articles without going into the FTP? And it isn't that hard to setup? If so, brilliant.

5. Nxiel

Nxiel Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes. Thats exactly what a CMS does. Its like MS Word. You have a page. You add content to it. There is a button you click to publish stuff. There is also a bar where you can decide what you want to upload to the server.

Nxiel, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  6. stompergames

stompergames Peon

Best Answers:
    I already understand that. The importance is in if its easy to install. I don't want to spend too much time integrating it if it isn't the most necessary component of the website.

7. Nxiel

Nxiel Peon

Best Answers:
    Its very easy to install. You just need a database and thats about it. Its called their famous 5 min installation.

Nxiel, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  8. stompergames

stompergames Peon

Best Answers:
    Alright. Thanks for your help!

9. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    Trusted Writer, Aug 11, 2008 IP
  10. Dave82689

Dave82689 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I would really suggest Wordpress its the king of CMS system and a really good CMS to use for any site you are running.

Dave82689, Aug 12, 2008 IP
  11. me4you

me4you Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you can also Choose Joomla! as your CMS.

me4you, Aug 12, 2008 IP
  12. blackonyx

blackonyx Peon

Best Answers:
    You most definitily need a CMS, if you want to be be publisher. Not using one will simply make you waste a lot of time on design and link building. Especially the link building becomes an issue after having a dozen+ pages on your site. Without a CMS, you'll usually also end up with a terrible navigation and an inhomogenous look, that will drive visitors away rahter then attract them.

Besides wordpress, you might also want to look at Drupal or Joomla (take a look at the sites in my signature, they were all made with drupal).

blackonyx, Aug 13, 2008 IP
  13. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is the way to go. If you go the hard coding way, you'll end up wasting a lot of time which you can otherwise invest in writing articles.

RovingCalypso, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  14. houck

houck Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your pretty handy with HTML/CSS creating your template for wordpress is easy... or you can download some from many wp theme sites XD

houck, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  15. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    mg1313, Aug 14, 2008 IP
  16. Technical Magic

Technical Magic Peon

Best Answers:
    For what you are looking to create, WordPress would be ideal for the job. The benefits of having a CMS, far outweigh any negatives and in your case I'm unable to think of any.

Technical Magic, Aug 17, 2008 IP
  17. WPSorted

WPSorted Guest

Best Answers:
    Wordpress EVERY time!

WPSorted, Aug 17, 2008 IP