1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you sell your own product or affiliate products?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by rmt99e, Oct 8, 2011.

On your websites, do you sell your own products - or affiliate products?

If you sell your own products, what do you sell?

I personally do not sell any of my own products. I try to promote affiliate products that best line up with the readership of my blog. One that I have had a lot of success with is Netflix.

I find that in either case it is much easier to sell digital products as an affiliate.

Please list your URLs and strategy. This is meant to be a general benchmark between different approaches in promotion.

-R

rmt99e, Oct 8, 2011 IP
  2. Boundockable

Boundockable Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Last time i have been selling my own e-book and used affiliate promotion. It is very profitable method since i found a lot of partners to promote my e-book and some of them had huge e-mail list.
    Personally if you want to earn a lot of money in short time, you should sell your own product or PLR. If you want to earn monthly some dollars without hard working, selling affiliate products is better.

Boundockable, Oct 9, 2011 IP
  3. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I would love to write an E-Book but its hard to find the time & energy to complete one. My idea was to turn it into a digital product and pair it with videos to sell. $$$

rmt99e, Oct 9, 2011 IP
  4. busterbuzz

busterbuzz Peon

Best Answers:
    I am mostly offline but I do sell affiliate products. The main reason why I dont sell my own is that I have no idea what to do! :) I also dont want to deal with the customers.

busterbuzz, Oct 9, 2011 IP
  5. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah that's the beauty of affiliate marketing. All of the money with less of the BS! :)

I feel like I have a harder time finding a promotable product (relevant to my channels) than actually promoting it.

I've had most success with digital products and online clothing retailers.

rmt99e, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  6. mecanique

mecanique Member

Best Answers:
    No I don't do it. popularity problem

mecanique, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  7. uleesgold

uleesgold Member

Best Answers:
    I don't sell any of my own products at all - I am only an affiliate marketer.

You didn't ask, but affiliate marketers are often times hesitant to talk about what they promote , for good reasons...

uleesgold, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  8. globalbusiness

globalbusiness Peon

Best Answers:
    i always sell affiliate products.

globalbusiness, Oct 16, 2011 IP
  9. wounded1987

wounded1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    better sell your own product if you know that it will work 100% and you love the niche.. but also try promote affiliate products as side projects and learn from the experience... then apply stuff you learned as an affiliate to your other business types.... and vice versa.

wounded1987, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  10. ArwenTaylor

ArwenTaylor Member

Best Answers:
    Right now I'm only selling affiliate products. Eventually, I would like to try selling my own information products.

ArwenTaylor, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  11. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I most enjoy posting on my multi-topic blog because I can talk about my hobbies (sports, music, entertainment). It is the easiest for me to develop content. It just flows!

What products have you created?

rmt99e, Oct 21, 2011 IP
  12. Max Singapore

Max Singapore Active Member

Best Answers:
    why not you do Both . it only make sense , is relaly not that hard to build a few site and round up the traffic ,

multi source of income is always good

Max Singapore, Oct 22, 2011 IP
  13. aditd

aditd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The links in my signature:
    The first is the site that sells my own product.
    The second is a site that sells via affiliate links.

The idea is to try it all: adsesne, affiliate marketing, selling your own product.

aditd, Oct 23, 2011 IP
  14. RedHelper

RedHelper Peon

Best Answers:
    I sell products of my company. We're going to launch an English version of our site this month, and definitly need affiliate partners to promote our system.

We specialize in the area of online marketing solutions (live chat and customer tracking system), and successfuly sell software in our home country. Our affiliate programm is quite prospective (25-50% on all sales by referral link).

When we get ready with the site, i'll post URLs here.

Please feel free to contact me on any questions through PM.

RedHelper, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  15. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you guys use any affiliate sites other than Google Affiliate Network and Commission Junction?

rmt99e, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  16. Sensei.Design

Sensei.Design Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    For me it's both :D

On my blogs I'm selling affiliate products when it fit's in but also offering own services and products on other websites. For example webhosting or freelancing in general.

For Affiliate Products I am using Clickbank and CJ never used the Google one - is it worth checking out?

Sensei.Design, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  17. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I do both affiliate program and selling my own product. Affiliate program mostly on games and health product but my own product basically is mostly on consumer electronic product

lifeplayer, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  18. Preston_Pilgrim

Preston_Pilgrim Peon

Best Answers:
    you can do both, but it all depends if you want to carry inventory. That is the only down side of selling your own product, unless it is digital.

Preston_Pilgrim, Oct 24, 2011 IP
  19. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm thinking about starting an apparel blog and heavily include affiliate links/promotions within. Has anyone here had experience with an apparel site?

rmt99e, Oct 30, 2011 IP
  20. aab1

aab1 Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I've always sold my own products on the internet & eBay, I currently sell an eBay auction sniper software & web based service both on eBay and on my website.

I also have one of those Braun self cleaning shavers and was sick of paying $25 for $1.50 worth of alcohol in plastic cartridges so I decided to just rinse and clean the used cartridges and refill them with plain rubbing alcohol. To my surprise as soon as the cleaning base started pumping the alcohol it says the cartridge was empty. I then figured they add a secret ingredient to the alcohol that the cleaning base detects, likely to prevent refilling, but I found what they add and managed to make a mix that the cleaning base accepts. I decided this would be a great product to sell and sure enough I sell about 200 bottles a month on eBay.

I don't yet have a site for the Braun refill solution but plan to make one soon.

Currently the sales of my eBay auction sniper are low (they were great 5 years ago but have been falling since) but I'm trying to get them to go back up. I gave lots of 90 day trials for my web based version with the purchase of the software for a few months and recently stopped, as those 90 day trials expire sales should pick up higher than before, at least that's the plan.

aab1, Nov 1, 2011 IP