1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you suggest to stay on a MariaDB while developer is using MySQL?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by postcd, Jul 11, 2024.

Script developer has on their repository a MySQL 5.x support. When I have told him that I am having MariaDB (I am not aware a bout any issue of my website), the developer told me:

Yet Oracle people says that MariaDB is "diverging more and more" and the process to migrate will be more complicated.

My new control panel (Virtualmin) default DB server is MariaDB (same as my current), If I would want to have MySQL same as a developer, I would have to do some manual tasks in order to switch and i am not good in customization.

Reading some details about migration from MariaDB back to MySQL, I believe that such task should not be complicated.

While I am not a developer, but a layman. I am unsure what to do so I do not cause complications into the more distant future.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2024
    postcd, Jul 11, 2024 IP
  2. GreenHost.Cloud

GreenHost.Cloud Member

Best Answers:
    It seems like using MariaDB should not be a problem for now, but switching to MySQL may involve some manual tasks.
    If you are unsure about making the switch, it might be best to stick with MariaDB for now and avoid potential complications.
    Consulting with a professional or seeking further advice from your developer could help you make the best decision for your website in the long run.

GreenHost.Cloud, Jul 17, 2024 IP
  3. Alex_Kirpichny

Alex_Kirpichny Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Switching from to MySQL can indeed require some manual adjustments, especially if you're dealing with specific features or configurations unique to MariaDB. Ispirer tool might help streamline some of the conversion process, automating certain tasks to make the transition smoother.

https://www.ispirer.com/products/migration-toolkit

Hope this helps!

Alex_Kirpichny, Aug 29, 2024 IP
  4. Hostragons

Hostragons Active Member

Best Answers:
    Since MariaDB is generally compatible with MySQL, you can try using it without immediate issues. Just back up your data first. If you want to switch to MySQL, be ready for some manual setup. If you're not comfortable with that, consider getting help from a developer. Stick with what feels easiest for you

Hostragons, Oct 5, 2024 IP