1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think social networks killing the value of "Forums"?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by jahangir, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Claymation

Claymation Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the comment regarding the mobile internet. Good luck making a long post to a forum with that.

What we haven't touched on here is the time aspect.
    People only have so many hours to spend online during a given day.
    I do own forum sites, and they have crashed heavily in the past couple of years.
    The regular members are now on Facebook.
    Comments there turn into long "threads", so it is not that different from a forum at all.
    The interface is faster, and dropping comments is faster.

Claymation, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  2. ancifer2002

ancifer2002 Member

Best Answers:
    Twitter - it's a garbage. Stupid toy. May be it interesting thing for seo-people, not more :)

ancifer2002, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  3. Com

Com Member

Best Answers:
    Never i don't think so, forum is quiet different from social networking SN is for fun why forum you get real ideas of what you wanna do.

Com, Jul 4, 2010 IP
  4. samdarwin

samdarwin Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope I dont. This is indeed a great question.See, social media are great ways in which we can get in touch. But it is not a focussed group. Say for eg: Twitter and facebook, the top guys, have a wide range of audience. So getting a questions streamlined to my questions is going to be difficult. I personally use social media websites to go for a chit chat and have a break.

Where as I come to forum if I have serious question about any particular niche (Say webmaster doubts I come to DP). I hope many will agree with my point of view.

samdarwin, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  5. vfoster

vfoster Peon

Best Answers:
    forums and social networking sites are of different worlds. you can post and read a lot of crap at social sites but you learn and exchange niche ideas at forums.

vfoster, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  6. boyblogger

boyblogger Peon

Best Answers:
    Dear Friend,

Social networks and forums are having their own community. The former are mostly for datings and meet new friends. Most of these sites were used for general communication and the least a handful take advantge of it to market their products. Forum is unique in the sense it disperse knowledges and serius discussion on certain topics. The emergence of social networks and further help the forum with the latter only contain chatters with serious topic. Thus, reducing unnecessary members which may wasting readers' time. Forum shall remain in its own way..

boyblogger, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  7. ~kev~

~kev~ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A few days ago I made a detailed post on v7n as to why I think forums are outdated - http://www.v7n.com/forums/forum-management/195636-why-stock-vbulletin-forum-does-not-work.html

My personal opinion, I think a lot of it boils down to the software developers. People who make the forum software have lost touch with the direction of current internet trends. Take a look at vbulletin, it has only had a couple of major updates in the past 3+ years. While in the time myspace and facebook have risen to power.

For forums to say popular, something is going to have to change. But with forum developers ignoring the needs of their customers - only time will tell.

~kev~, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  8. 11114444

11114444 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the dofollow impacts forums and social networks, in terms of quality info disseminated, than any other factor.

11114444, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  9. xyzgogo

xyzgogo Guest

Best Answers:
    social network can let me share photo or mood with friends in real world.

xyzgogo, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  10. flixy

flixy Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread is interesting because it's a trend I've noticed too over the past 18 months or so. Before social networks reached critical mass (2007-8), forums reigned supreme because they were pretty much the only way of having your own voice, short of having your own site. Forums have sort of stagnated in growth, where Twitter and Facebook have skyrocketed over the past 2-3 years. There'll always be a place for forums, just like there'll always be a place for usenet, but change is in the air.

Forums just aren't as tied into your own identity (or whatever other magic quality social networks have) like FB & twitter are, and now that anyone can create a blog in minutes, I think a lot of people have realised they no longer want to give their content away in forums, when they can more readily establish themselves in a niche with their own site & social networks.

flixy, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  11. shellybr84

shellybr84 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes!! I joined digital point to gain and share knowledge..

shellybr84, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  12. gbaggs2

gbaggs2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe social networks and forums serve two totally different purposes. Like a few people mentioned already, social networks are to meet friends and play grab ass online. Forums are used to brainstorm and seek knowledge. Although I've met some good friends in forums, I mainly use it as an online college for internet marketing.

gbaggs2, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  13. khulet22

khulet22 Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree of the majority here. Forums are somewhat more professional. I think it is still good that socializing still have a boundary to your serious stuffs. :) They are both useful in different way.

khulet22, Aug 11, 2010 IP