1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

do You Think SOPA Will Drastically Affect Internet Marketers?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by WaldorfPC, Jan 10, 2012.

Mods, I feel that this is the best place to put this topic. Just in case I am wrong, please feel free to move it.

I have a serious question.

For the last six years, I have solely depended on making my living online. I work on a wide variety of freelance sites, like ODesk, Scriptlance, Guru, and Elance, forums like this one, and content production sites, like Content Authority, Text Broker, and London Brokers. My worry is that, even though I am a law biding citizen who does not engage in copyright infringement or piracy, my living could be affected along with the rest of us if SOPA is passed. What do you guys think? Do you think we will all lose our freedom to use the Internet to make money? I am really scared about this.

Because I am blind, it is terribly difficult to get a regular job. Many discriminate against you andwill not hire you because they think you ar incapable. Yes, the Americans with Disabilities Act has been passed, but that law has no real grab, as far as I am concerned. Employers still find loopholes and exploit them, and the unemployment rate among blind people remains at a staggering seventy percent in the US. Rather than just sit back and just accept that I will always be a no good blindy, I have used the Internet to empower myself and make my own way. I'd hate to lose it. Of course, I am resourceful and can find other ways to make money, but I would hate so much to have to resort to those, like selling wax sculptures at a variety of craft shows, basket weave, get a street corner performer's license, get a degreein massage therapy and run a parlor from home, do daycare, and sell handmade soaps and candles.

I hope I will not lose everything I have worked for.

WaldorfPC, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  2. Arttu

Arttu Member

Best Answers:
    I can't think of any way that SOPA would affect you if you don't have anything to do with piracy, of course there could be some indirect ways like a site that's linking to your site gets blocked.

Arttu, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  3. Meedan

Meedan Member

Best Answers:
    After reading about SOPA, I am curious to know will this also affect countries outside US.

Meedan, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  4. WaldorfPC

WaldorfPC Member

Best Answers:
    SOPA will affect sites that offer products/services to U.S. customers, even if they are out of the U.S. What will happen if a site outside of the country is in violation of SOPA is the Internet service providers will block U.S. customers from seeing the sites. The sites outside of the country will not be shut down, though. Sites in the U.S. can be.

WaldorfPC, Jan 10, 2012 IP
  5. tjcreation

tjcreation Peon

Best Answers:
    I could see how SOPA might affect Internet marketing, but only if the product was related in some way to copyrights. For example, if you run a blog that has how-to information for copyrighted software, you might run into a problem with having screenshots of the software on your pages. If you run a movie/video game review site, the same problems would crop up with showing stills or excerpts.

However, I don't see it affecting anyone's ability to do work through the types of sites you listed. Content creation isn't connected with copyrights if you're a legitimate writer.

tjcreation, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  6. WaldorfPC

WaldorfPC Member

Best Answers:
    When I write, I make sure all of my content is one hundred percent unique. I use Copyscape to make sure. If something must be cited, I make sure I cite materials according to the specific discipline for which I am writing.

I thought that the whole screenshot thing may be a problem, especially since some tutorials require it. It will be interesting to see how the Internet is affected, if this law goes through.

WaldorfPC, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  7. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    SOPA will affect how material is currently presented on the web. It may end up being necessary to modify the way we present information and content but overall as Waldorf points out, there are ways to get around restrictions. It will only take the mass of the internet a short time to figure out ingenious ways to thwart the limiting scope which SOPA seeks to deploy.

JPC-Sabrina, Jan 11, 2012 IP
  8. himanuzo

himanuzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am wondering about this topic especially affiliate programs and online businesses in U.S.

himanuzo, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  9. theg

theg Peon

Best Answers:
    This guy explain pretty well what it's all about, and he also has a "secret" to tell us all 100% recommended [video=youtube_share;WJIuYgIvKsc]http://youtu.be/WJIuYgIvKsc[/video]

theg, Jan 18, 2012 IP