1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you write your own Wordpress theme from scratch or use an existing theme?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by chaz7979, Sep 22, 2014.

If you already have the basic completed (non-wordpress) HTML/CSS/JS in hand, how would you bring that design into Wordpress? Would you write your own theme from scratch or use an existing theme and apply your new design to it?

If you would use an existing theme to start, which one would you use?

chaz7979, Sep 22, 2014 IP
  2. Antorjal Alin

Antorjal Alin Member

Best Answers:
    I like to use my own developed wordprss themes for my projects. Because free or premium themes have limitations or have huge functionality that I may don't need. Recently I made a wordpress theme for providing freebies to my users. I wanted some custom functionality into this theme which are I didn't found in any free or premium themes. But for my clients site I developed themes according to my clients requirements. If my clients needs to customize premium theme or want to use any free theme with some customization, I do that for him/her.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    Antorjal Alin, Sep 23, 2014 IP
  3. KewL

KewL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's super easy to take a statically coded website to a WordPress powered theme. Just copy the post loop from the default theme, and insert the wordpress template tags you need.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags

There's a lot more to it if you want it done "properly," but the above should work fine^

Then for different features/functions you need to enable/use a quick google search will turn up a solution.

KewL, Sep 25, 2014 IP
  4. jopsons

jopsons Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah you can do it, biggest branded blogs which are using wordpress platform they are using their own templates, they build it from scratch onwards. If you have good knowledge on coding part, you can try it.

jopsons, Sep 26, 2014 IP
  5. xXxpert

xXxpert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I always use my own developed WP themes for my own sites or client projects.however i use "_s", "Bones" Frameworks/Starter Themes for basic code structure.

xXxpert, Sep 26, 2014 IP
  6. usemyteam

usemyteam Member

Best Answers:
    I use some existing themes if project is required to be finished ASAP. If not, then I do my own theme.

usemyteam, Oct 6, 2014 IP
  7. Saqib Rauf

Saqib Rauf Member

Best Answers:
    I am using hueman from (alxmedia dot se) with some customization.

Saqib Rauf, Oct 12, 2014 IP
  8. Brent Jones

Brent Jones Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me, I would take an existing theme and modify it. But if you're comfortable with coding, you could certainly use what you have to build your own theme. It's up to you, really.

Brent Jones, Nov 3, 2014 IP
  9. Bisje

Bisje Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you developped the first site and you are skilled in wordpress theming, you probably better start from scratch.
    Otherwise you better start from a premium theme and start filling it with the content of the old site.
    I don't really believe in adapting existing free or premium themes... it takes a lot of time to fully understand what/why the original developer did...

Bisje, Nov 17, 2014 IP