1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does anyone use one of the Newer Imacs?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ginostylz, Dec 15, 2004.

Does anyone use one of the Newer Imacs?

Is the new imac cool? I was thinking about getting one, the one with the 20" monitor. I have to use pc for the rest of my life due to certain porograms i have to use, but If Imacs were really cool I'd consider having 2 computers(pc+mac) The display at compusa with the imac is quite slow, how does yours run?

ginostylz, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  2. dustin

dustin Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have an iMac, but I have a Powerbook portable mac. I truly love it, and I am sure that I will get the exact same computer (in a newer version) when it comes time to upgrade in a few years. If you were thinking about a laptop at all I highly recommend the mac ones.

dustin, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  3. Citizen Craig

Citizen Craig Peon

Best Answers:
    Trust me, the Mac doesn't disappoint. You'll love it :D

Citizen Craig, Dec 20, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Dec 20, 2004 IP
  5. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I do not know how to order it though.
    These thinks do not look very upgradable. How should I order it? Is the RAM easy to change? ANd I am very divided on wired vs wireless keyboard and mouse. The guy said you have to order it with bluetooth built in because it is integrated into the motherboard. And If I do go wireless I lose the option to have at least one convenient usb port since they hide the ports behind the monitor.
    </sigh>

ginostylz, Dec 20, 2004 IP
  6. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    I LOVE my G5 iMac. I got it at http://www.maczone.com, but you can also purchase one at http://www.apple.com, or any of the mac retail stores. It's super fast, easily upgradable to 2GB of memory and just flat out kicks ass. I don't have the wireless keyboard, but I do have the airport (wireless internet) which is amazingly fast. I also opted for the superdrive which burns DVD's as well, and the 1.8GHz processor. There's a reason that once you go Mac, you never go back ;) ...

ViciousSummer, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  7. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    I got one for my new job and I love it!!!! So sleek and powerful. Oh and you are worried about USB ports, well it comes with three on the back and two on the keyboard. Plus you can always get a USB hub if you want. Remember 128 items can be plugged into one USB port (via hubs and chains) if I'm remembering correctly. Also, don't forget about VirtualPC from Microsoft. This program allows you to run Windows on a Mac. Not sure how well it works on a G5 yet but it's worth a look.

TwisterMc, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  8. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    I was more worried about accessable usb ports. I use flash drives quite often. And I don't hve eyes on the back of my computer. :) And if I go wireless I lose the cool option of having the usb drives on the keyboard. I only wanted to order only one Imac, and these things aren't built to be as upgradable as a regular pc.

ginostylz, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  9. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    The USB ports are pretty darn accessible since the back of the computer is less then 2" away from the front ;). As I'm sitting here and typing this, I can reach over (without getting up) and feel the ports. I think the best thing for you to do is go into one of the Mac stores, sit down and take it for a test drive. Also, in my opinion, Macs don't need to be upgraded nearly as often as ibm's. I know Shawn has had his G4 Power Mac forever and is definately not looking for a new comp anytime soon (I should know, I was waiting for the hand me down...hehe...just kidding). If your worried about upgradability, check out the Power Mac. It may be more up your alley :).

10. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    What is the difference between these and a regular G5 VS :confused:

Why do they call it a G5 I Mac :confused:

anthonycea, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  11. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    I am not arguing like that is impossible to plug into, but if you used a flash drive and couldn't see the port it would be a pain to use. It is easier to use the one on the keyboard, but i would lose that on the wirless option :(
    I am more worried about ordering the perfect setup first on items not easily interchangable.
    I will more than likely not by RAM from apple, it costs too much and If it is possible to add it myself i will. But wat will I miss out on if I do not order it right the first time?

I would really like the cheese grater option but this is my first soon to be mac and can not afford both an apple moniter and oversized moniter on the first one.

G5 is just a newer chip. It is like saying a pentium3 or a pentium 4 gateway or dell.
    Last few years the imac had the wierd base at the bottom with a flexible goose neck attached to the monitor at the top. The new model is just a large widescreen monitor 2 inches thick, if you go wireless option you will only need a power wire.

12. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Come on, Anthony...I thought you were the master investigator ;)

G5 Power Mac

G5 iMac

:)

13. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    My point was the I can reach out and touch the usb port while just sitting here, if I simply stand up and lean over a bit, I can see them as well. It's as easy for me to see the USB ports on the keyboard as it is to see the ones behind the monitor. If your that bent on using the keyboard one, just don't go wireless ;).

I would really just go test drive them in the apple store. It will give you a much better feel about what exactly you want.
    I don't get my RAM directly from apple either. It's cheaper to get it else where.

14. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    I am not as good as I used to be VS, I am getting old, 46 this May, but I still have some of it in me, that is why I am investigating your and Shawn's vacation in the following thread without any input from either of you as of yet.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=6651

:mad:

anthonycea, Dec 21, 2004 IP
  15. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    I wanted to buy one today. But every where says 1 week untill shipping.

How often do they upgrade the design? or install better chips?

16. TwisterMc

TwisterMc Mac Guru

Best Answers:
    This one probably won't be updated again until late summer at the eairlest. However there is a small chance of an update at the Mac expo coming up in January.

TwisterMc, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  17. Refrozen

Refrozen Peon

Best Answers:
    Bah, my PC with the gimungous flat screen monitor (1000$ CAD!!!! - 21") is good enough for me. :)

Refrozen, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  18. ViciousSummer

Best Answers:
    Did you try maczone.com? Looks like they are in stock and they'll overnight it for $9.99 (plus you get a free printer and free 256mb of ram). You must be as impatient as me ;) ...I couldn't wait any more for the 1.6GH iMacs, so I just paid for the faster processor and superdrive so I could get it faster :D!

ViciousSummer, Dec 22, 2004 IP
  19. ginostylz

Best Answers:
    Maczone did not sell the bluetooth wireless option. I really wanted the wireless desktop. Integrated bluetooth with mouse and keyboard. It is something i believe that is needed to be ordered that way. macmall.com is one of the ones I tried to use +they will start you at one dim of 512 without making you pay extra for it. All the others I searched were out of stock as well for the same option.

ginostylz, Dec 22, 2004 IP