1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Done front end Web Develpment

Discussion in 'General Business' started by exWebDeveloper, Mar 16, 2014.

I have feeling out of all computer based fields, website front end development changing most rapidly every year.

Meaning you have to constantly learn to stay in business and old stuff you learned like

• Adobe Flash and ActonScript 3 - dead for web design android already discontinued it
    • HTML 4 - half of skills are not applicable anymore after HTML 5 come out
    • CSS - old ways of using it still same , bad but you really need to learn CSS3 when it officially supported
    • Web safe fonts and styling of them - almost useless as most browsers support now @font-face
    • JavaScript - not changed, but not widely used in its pure form after jQuery come out
    • Website Look - Designs popular in 1998-2008 are looking like joke today
    • Learned Microsoft Front Page first it turned out make junk code, then learned Dreamweaver, yeah its way better, but also trashed that because i learned to code in Notepad++ as any WYSIWYG editor creates junk code.
    • Many more examples...
    What about countless hours spent learning all that knowledge that now is worth nothing?

If you take step back and look at yourself being web developer if you did it for while you might see yourself being instrument of progress of society, and this instrument is only capable of functioning as long as it willing to constantly learn new specs and techniques, but if he stops constantly learning his current knowledge that can be state of the art today - will not be sufficient to even make basic living in 5 years time. Based on speed of current computer progress today.

Web design and computer science in general look attractive when you are young and have tons of time, but its not you understand that you spending your life gaining knowledge that has expiration date on it.

I love learning new stuff that is practical and useful to me over span of my life, front end web design was a mistake and i am glad that i see it now, not going to waste any more time with it.

Bye bye web design and probably every other computer discipline as they all not too far from each other.

exWebDeveloper, Mar 16, 2014 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be so pessimistic if I were you. I still have sites that have tables in them. Who cares?!

You see, in your mind you're competing / comparing yourself with other webmasters and developers.

You need to understand that there are close to 7 billion people in the world that have no clue what front end development is, but some of them would really appreciate if someone created a site for them. They don't give a flying crap as to what code it is written in.

As someone pointed out to me on this forum one time: Deprecated doesn't mean not functional. All the things you have listed maybe getting / are deprecated, but they still work and will work for the years to come.

qwikad.com, Mar 16, 2014 IP
  3. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should absolutely keep up to date with the advancement of the current languages and technologies used today. You should absolutely NOT abandon everything you know to be 100% "2014" because what comes out TODAY is NOT widely supported until much later.

NetStar, Mar 16, 2014 IP
  4. exWebDeveloper

exWebDeveloper Peon

Best Answers:

I agree however then i would be working for scraps because many of this people who don't care - don't pay enough. I want to get decent pay for what i do not like $100-200 for website that takes about week.
    Plus this people who don't care can outsource to India for $3/hour (freelancer, elance, etc) .

Ppeople who will pay decent price will care., Google cares, soon you wont get positioned high if you don't use HTML 5 semantic syntax.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    exWebDeveloper, Mar 28, 2014 IP
  5. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Have you thought of developing a piece of software that you can sell over and over again? If you have two - three projects that you can sell over and over you won't ever need to work on something $100 / week.

qwikad.com, Mar 28, 2014 IP