1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dynamic Links Page Growing Out of Proportion!

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Aitch, Mar 21, 2010.

Hi Forum.

I;m not totally sure if this is the right place to post as it could probably fit into a few forumsn, ut i'll try here first anyway.

I had a couple of dynamic site maps created about 4 years ago which link to certain hard to find pages that are submitted via an online form and found using a search facility.

The SEO experts at the time said it would be useful to get pages found that would otherwise not get crawled by the SE Bots as the only way to discover these pages is by using the online search facility which returns search results. As we all know, a SE Bot is not going to be performing a multitude of searches just to dig out a sites hidden pages.

So the dynamic site maps were created and are accessed 2 links deep. Both have a little Page Rank (PR2) but here's the issue:

Mr G (Google) recommends that a page with more than 100 links is not Bot friendly and therefore recommends no more than this amount of links on any given page. This reflects in the number of pages indexed by Google compared to the number of pages actually live on the site (all of which are unique)

Well, my main dynamic links page has 2,734 and growing with each new addition to the site. So I was wondering if there was a way to easily modify this page so that it goes to page 2,3,4,5….. etc with no more than 100 links max per page. Oh, and it would be good if I could also control the priority of which links appear on what page number.

Secondly, the guys at the time said that they created the dynamic site maps in such a way that whenever a page was deleted it would be removed automatically from the link list. Well, I've just run the page through a broken link checker and the results are as follows:

Dead or missing links: 1
    Links which need to be checked: 311
    Links which are active and fine: 2422

So it looks like this bit of promised wizardry isn't working quite as well as it was assured it would do. The company have long gone out of business and disappeared, so it's not possible to chase them up with these questions.

All I know is that I don't know, but if anyone can shed any simple modification techniques that even a db ignorant sole like me can readjust, it would be greatly appreciated.

It's not critical as these dynamic links pages have been with the site for a few years now, but as I learn more about these things, it just feels right to comply with what makes a better website as the web evolves.

Here's the biggest of the 2 pages I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance

Andii

Aitch, Mar 21, 2010 IP