1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ebay Business HELP

Discussion in 'General Business' started by aWas, Mar 9, 2010.

I have been reselling products on ebay since last year and I have encountered a huge problem to my business- the Taxman. I need some help to understand my total taxes and such. As I've had calculated the total tax on profit goes something like this=
    15% social security+lets say~20% federal tax(15-25% bracket)+~7% New york state tax= 42% tax just on profit. In addition some expenses include ~12% ebay and paypal fees, shipping ~5% (I offer free shipping)

So basicly, If i buy an item for $200 and sell it for $300, i have 50-60 profit before the taxes. So after taxes (42%) I have left with around 30 bucks. If I had to pay sales tax for new york state there would be no profit at all. As I understand the sales tax only applies to customers in the same state. Out of state there is no tax. Have I done my calculations correctly? Please help me out, I have to figure out if its worth it to continue with the business, I don't understand how other small businesses survive with such an income tax. :(

aWas, Mar 9, 2010 IP