1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Entering the US market, ads in printed media, alternatives?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by seodevteam, Nov 7, 2014.

I'm living in Europe, in Sweden.
    I'm working on a tool for every company to use. Turnover must be at least 1-2 USD per year so that exclude many very small businesses.

In Sweden we have a daily morning paper named "Dagens Industri" that's read of the far majority of every CEO's and Presidents (company executives) in Sweden. You get the picture.

What are the alternatives in USA?
    What kind of paper does the "blue collar workers employer" read?
    In this case, I believe print media is to prefer. But then, what are the alternatives? Any suggestions?

seodevteam, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Well, CEO's in general, read the Wall Street Journal every morning. I am not sure that there is a daily newspaper that targets "blue collar workers employers." If they are not reading the WSJ, they are probably reading their local newspaper. The only other real national paper that businesspeople read is USA Today, especially road warriors. The New York Times tries to be a national paper, but they have been so discredited in the business world for their obvious political biases, that I don't think that they are read that much by CEO's any more.

BTW, have some great memories of visiting Sweden for business many years ago. My company at the time was repping a Swedish software company's product in North America. Flew into Copenhagen and took the ferry across to Malmo. The most amazing thing was that EVERYONE knew how to speak English in Sweden. Made for a very enjoyable trip. Smorgasbord was great!

jrbiz, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  3. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If you seriously think you can hit the printed media in the US and make money (or reach some kind of level of success) you will be deceiving yourself all the way until you hit the rock bottom. I am surprised it's not a dying business in Sweden with all the progress you guys are having there. I wouldn't touch that type of business with a 9-foot pole, here in the US, if I were you. Not worth it.

qwikad.com, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  4. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There isn't a single magazine that every CEO or executive reads. Perhaps Forbes may get the attention of most higher in command employees but it is probably the most expensive to advertise in *IF* you get accepted. Yes you read that correctly...not every company can advertise with Forbes even if you have the budget.

There is however, most likely, a magazine for every niche that does cater toward the executive which are great for advertising but it would be near impossible to gather such a list for every genre and niche. Your cost would probably be far too great to ever see a return if you were able to advertise in all of them since your business isn't tailored to a particular niche.

I hope magazine ads aren't a big part of your business plan... That kind of advertising went downwards after 1996.

NetStar, Nov 7, 2014 IP
  5. seodevteam

seodevteam Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for the input! For me, it's very valuable!
    I would try printing advertising in Sweden and I also look for alternatives in the US.
    However, it's not today... just part of the research!

I will find these papers / magazines to see what the ad may cost. Then, make the decision.

Another thought hit me yesterday! Maybe to get a stand at CES in January 2016! That would really be awesome!
    I don't know if the tool, service, or product would be ready for this... But really, that's a goal!

jrbiz: There is no ferry any more. Since ten years back in time, or so, there is a bridge between Denmark and Sweden and the train, below the cars, takes about 12 minutes or so, from Copenhagen airport to the central part of Malmö. There is a train stop inside the airport. Very convenient! I used it myself when going to Indonesia almost 2 years ago! :) Many Swedes do this, fly from CPH!

seodevteam, Nov 10, 2014 IP
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, that is a big change! Just goes to show how long ago it was when I went there...

Good luck with your project.

jrbiz, Nov 10, 2014 IP
  7. seodevteam

seodevteam Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've thought about this and I'd like to expand the question a bit.

I would like to thank you for the input and I now realize that the US society works different from the Swedish. In Sweden, we have plenty of papers but it's because they all get support, they all get money, from the state to keep the variety alive.

I think this is a very rare situation and it's not at all representative for the world as a whole.
    Excuse me! I forgot about that!

In this week, starting today actually, there is a big exhibition near by, as I will attend as the guest. Elmia Subcontractor.
    http://www.elmia.se/en/subcontractor/

I will visit tomorrow.
    I was hoping to exhibit this year, but life wanted different so I hope it will be possible next year! (Time will tell!)

My new question to you!
    Are there any subcontractor exhibitions in the USA? How do I find these?
    Maybe there are specialized magazines with names such as "Welding today" or, "Welding News"...? Similar as such kind.

seodevteam, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  8. Jack099

Jack099 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd also ad my 2 cents.

First of I can't remember the last time I read printed media and I'm not alone. Most major publications are switching to an online format; that's where the ad money is these days. The other important factor that you should consider is that online publications can keep track of what is happening as it happens. As you might guess this is quite important in the world of business. Last but not least, if you're advertising software, you'll undoubtedly need a link back to your website. If it's in print format, it's something that a CEO needs to memorize and 99% of the time he has more important things to keep in mind.

My suggestion would be to go digital.

Jack099, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  9. H0stZealot

H0stZealot Active Member

Best Answers:
    2 Jack099 - He obviously mentioned that his niche includes WELDING, not software. He needs a website and digital ads nevertheless, you are 100% right.

2seodevteam - a) not all DP forum users are from the US - and even those who are - well... most likely they are not too familiar with welding.
    I don't want to sound rude, yet the best way to gather information about welding industry in the US is googling...

And the best way to be introduced there is participating in a niche conferences and expositions, you are 100% right. When and where these are going to take place? Google knows...

Hopefully other forums members will be of better use, though. Good luck with your efforts! :)

H0stZealot, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  10. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not too long ago, I was involved with an industrial manufacturing directory and welding shops were some of my clients and prospects here in the U.S. I recall a few titles, though I have no idea if they are still in business:

Practical Welding Today
    Welding Magazine (Penton, I believe)
    Applied Welding
    Welding Journal
    Welding and Cutting

Note that there are also Sheet Metal Working magazines, Machine Tooling magazines, etc.

Also note that there is likely a single computer in a typical welding shop here in the U.S. It is mostly used for bookkeeping, billing, etc. Forget advertising online to welding shop decisionmakers. Your instincts to go with print were right on. They may look at a magazine on occasion. Rarely are they on the computer.

jrbiz, Nov 11, 2014 IP
  11. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Welders read?

NetStar, Nov 11, 2014 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  12. Jack099

Jack099 Peon

Best Answers:
    2 HostZealot, yup you're correct my mind automatically associated CES with software for some reason.

OP, may I ask what exactly are you trying to advertise. A new type of welding machine, or some other service to the welding industry. It might just be me, but it's not exactly clear at the moment and I think people could give you better advice, if they knew what the product is.

Jack099, Nov 12, 2014 IP