1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Errrhh... Why

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by oo7ml, Jan 28, 2008.

I created a template for my site in photoshop. I have a gradient background on one layer. If i crop a part of the site into a small rectanlge, the gradient changes to match the small part the i have cropped... is there a way to stop this from happening as i have to keep saving the psd as a jpg and then crop it from there,

thanks in advance

oo7ml, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  2. eruct

eruct Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really understand your dilemma but you could try a few things.

First, you shouldn't be cropping your template piece by piece and then using those to create a site. You should be using slicing to make you work easier and potentially cleaner. A tutorial similar to this one might help you if you are unfamiliar with this method.
    If you are trying to simply resize a few layers at once without messing with the background you can just highlight the layers that you want to change (shift+click or ctrl+click each layer) then use Edit>Transform to manipulate those selected layers.
    A final option would be to turn your gradient into a custom pattern fill (this will only work if your gradient is linear and not radial). To do this, use the rectangular marquee tool and select a thin strip of your gradient (1-5px wide should be enough) and however tall it is. With this selected use Edit>Define Pattern. It will now ask you to name your pattern. To use this pattern, all you have to do is select the paint bucket tool and in a drop down menu near the top (currently set at Foreground) then select your new pattern from the menu right next to that one.

Hopefully something helped, I didn't fully understand your question and please forgive me if you already know any or all of this. I don't want you to think that I am talking down to you if you know all these options. :)

eruct, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If you change the size of the shape with the gradient, or add another separate shape to the layer, then the gradient will change with it.

The simplest thing to do is just merge your gradient layer with an empty layer. You won't be able to edit you layer styles after you do it, so maybe keep an unmerged duplicate.

Kerosene, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  4. oo7ml

oo7ml Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, thanks guys for all your help

oo7ml, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  5. marki8

marki8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    good tutorial.... everyday i search at google how to make template using photoshop but i not found familiar what i want... now i found it in here...

thanks

marki8, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  6. saxDesigns

saxDesigns Peon

Best Answers:
    Try rasterizing the gradient layer

saxDesigns, Jan 29, 2008 IP