1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

First Client!!! Now, how much do I charge??

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Shift., Mar 1, 2012.

Hi all! Brand new here, but this looks to be a great community and I hope to become a regular. No need to sugarcoat anything for me, I'm a big boy. :D

So, I've recently jumped into the web design industry making sites for local businesses, and have found my first (potential) customer.

My client is starting a skin care company, and wants a promotional website that also allows her to sell merchandise.

Now, originally I was thinking of charging around ~$470 start-up for a new site, and then $270/year afterwards. (With a local small business in mind)

But this e-commerce website has me a little worried, since I've never set one up before. My initial thought was a WooCommerce theme, since I've read pretty good things about them. (I use Genesis for my personal sites)

Also, I'm not exactly sure how much extra to charge for an e-commerce theme. I'm assuming it's quite a bit more, since there's a lot more work involved with the inventory, pictures, payment processing, ect..

And in regards to the hosting - at first I thought I'd host the sites on a re-seller hosting account (I'm currently using Hostgator), since there wouldn't be significant amounts of traffic. But with an e-commerce site, would her own VPS be a better idea?

To sum it all up, I'd love to hear your feedback on:

• How much to charge/estimate the cost of the site

• Best way to host the site, and how to combine the hosting cost with the project cost
    It's my first time getting into this business, so all help is greatly appreciated. I might not know everything there is know about building websites, but I am honest, and if there's something I can't do, I'll be sure to help my client find the right person.

Not looking to make a quick buck - I'm genuinely interested in what's best for my customer.

All feedback/words of advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [​IMG]

- Andrew

Shift., Mar 1, 2012 IP
  2. psychost

psychost Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you want to charge nearly $500 and nearly $300 a year to setup a script with a theme........?
    It sounds like your ripping off your first client if you ask me... and you shouldn't take on a job if you don't know what the hell to do with it....

you've never set up an e-commerce site, so tell your client either you must decline or you'll do it as a MUCH lower rate as it may take you longer to figure out what your doing.

psychost, Mar 1, 2012 IP
  3. ContentVisionz

ContentVisionz Peon

Best Answers:
    This is just too high buddy... You're client gonna run away... lower the price and offer some effective bonuses..

ContentVisionz, Mar 2, 2012 IP
  4. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    It isn't too high if the client has no webmaster experience!!! That's why when you buy something you should do some research. However I would charge $200 + Hosting costs.... As for whether the client needs a VPS- Possibly, but if they're a small business probably not.

sambling, Mar 2, 2012 IP
  5. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    try to give the best price (best price dont mean lose money) as you can, so that you can build up your client base and get more in future

lifeplayer, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  6. torbatt

torbatt Peon

Best Answers:
    Just do market research

How much your competitors charge for same website ?

torbatt, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  7. torbatt

torbatt Peon

Best Answers:
    As you say he is your first client so give him some sort of discount or offer

torbatt, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  8. logoal

logoal Peon

Best Answers:
    the price you listed is fine. with web hosting go with $10/month, ask for yearly payment.

logoal, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  9. alacali

alacali Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly the high price and no experience sound like a recipe for disaster. You might make some quick cash but your reputation might get tarnished.

alacali, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  10. PPCoach

PPCoach Peon

Best Answers:
    Do it cheap, do it REALLY well, then follow up and tell her you pay for referrals.

PPCoach, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  11. James Byun

James Byun Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would setup some type of affordable payment plan. If anything a repeated customer is better then just a one time thing.

James Byun, Mar 3, 2012 IP
  12. imedia2011

imedia2011 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The PPCoach made a good suggestions with starting this one off cheap and disclosing your inexperience with this particular type of website. If you sour their experience with you, they could bring your reputation down with it (they'll tell people).

So, you can either decline the job and build your own micro e-commerce site to learn it yourself or take the gig for cheap money and disclose the truth.

I'd decline the job if I were you.

But don't take people's advice on selling your services on the cheap. Why shoot yourself in the foot by under-charging and taking clients whom don't have the means to pay? Or they'll simply be problematic? From experience, I'll tell you it's alluring to charge low and take order volume but you just wind up spreading yourself thin, wind up welcoming clients whom expect something for nothing, and you'll burn out.

People will pay to have things done that they can't do, don't have time for, or what they just plain won't do. So, charge whatever you feel is appropriate for your time investment.

imedia2011, Mar 24, 2012 IP
  13. robyna

robyna Peon

Best Answers:
    You have to determine how much VALUE you are providing the client, not just the "cost." In this case, I think you're providing a great deal of value and I don't think you're charging too much. Only you know your client and have a feel for what they're willing to pay. But you should also sell it to them as from the "providing value" perspective, too.

robyna, Mar 24, 2012 IP