1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

"First Place" cold-calls, refuses to put me on dnc list!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by aboyd, May 25, 2005.

You guys are my last hope. I've posted this two other places. I hope you can help.

Today I received an unsolicited call from someone representing "First Place." The agent asked if I owned outshine.com and then told me he had a product that would help my site to make a lot of money. I told him to put me on his do not call list. He refused. I asked for his name. He refused. I told him he was violating at least US law, and he needed to respond. He simply repeated, "don't you want to make money with your site?"

The call came in "Unknown ID" so all I have is the moment he called, his company name, and the very curious fact that he was able to associate my private cell phone number with my public web site (the domain name and the number are not publicly listed together, so I think GoDaddy or Verisign sold my private account info).

If anyone got a similar call today, please reply to this post or PM me. I have discovered what I suspect is their Web site, but I need to confirm that the site I found is indeed theirs. Anyone who stayed on the phone with them would have probably received a URL, as they sounded like they kick the sale off by having you view an online demo.

-Tony

aboyd, May 25, 2005 IP
  2. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    it's www 1p com. This is the infamous Traffic Power.......... just a bunch of slimebags.... good luck.

mopacfan, May 25, 2005 IP
  3. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    There was a post about this group yesterday. Post stated that the name you gave is the name now used by company previously called Traffic Power. From what I have read all of the sites on which Traffic Power worked were banned by Google for scammy practices.

Advise you to research any SEO company before becoming involved.

Shannon

Smyrl, May 25, 2005 IP
  4. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you sooo much. I found yesterday's thread here. For anyone else who is bothered by 1st Place, here is what I did. First, I went to the FCC and used their online form to lodge a complaint:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cib/fcc475.cfm

(1st Place broke US Code 47 by refusing to identify himself, broke it again by refusing to put me on do-not-call list, and broke it again by calling a cell phone number.)

Then, because my phone number is registered on the federal do-not-call list, I also went there and filed a complaint:

https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspx

Supposedly, I can also file a complaint with the Attorney General. However, I can't tell if I should file with the California AG (where I am), the federal AG, or the AG of the state that 1st Place is in. So I'm stuck on that one.

-Tony

aboyd, May 25, 2005 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have been called by them probably 10 times - last being maybe 1 month ago. I usually just say I already have top 10's and mostly #1 spots so leave me alone.

debunked, May 25, 2005 IP
  6. davedx

davedx Peon

Best Answers:
    Just leave the phone standing somewhere and go make a cuppa or watch some TV :)

Probably won't cost them much as they'll have a deal w/ their telecom, but if there's no chance you're listening at all maybe they won't bother calling you again...maybe.

Worked for my mum sometimes...

davedx, May 25, 2005 IP
  7. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I get a voicemail message at least once every week.

They don't give up! The guy actually sounds tired sometimes.

Crazy_Rob, May 25, 2005 IP
  8. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Last time I was called by these guys, I asked the guy how long he worked there.

He said about a month.

I told him that this company used to be trafficpower and makes money buy scamming people on the internet, and he'd probably want to make a more honest living with another company :)

lorien1973, May 26, 2005 IP