1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Forum aggregation - how to use it?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by mrx345, Dec 24, 2010.

I developed a kind of PHP library that allows me to aggregate forums from different sites. Here is how it looks:

http://www.hangoutwithus.org/bizideas/out.html

it took me a day to develop this page…

Does anyone know how to use this technology? is it possible to get some traffic to such pages? For example, I can create a page which aggregates some financial news or Google SEO questions….

Would it be a copyright violation to aggregate/show content from forums that don't belong to me?

Thank you

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
    mrx345, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  2. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I was even surprised you only aggregate the title of the posts. But here you redirect to the forums, I was thinking you would create pages with the actual content of the forum posts.

For titles only and linking back to the forums, I don't think there will be copyright violation, at maximum you should have a clear way for forum admins to refuse their forum to be on your site.

I think there is definitively a way to get traffic to such pages, by combining the infos from the forums with other generated content related to each category such as user-generated or automatically.

JamesColin, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  3. cerno

cerno Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    cerno, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  4. mrx345

mrx345 Peon

Best Answers:
    cerno,
    your site aggregates everything from various forums and it looks kinda messy…. My idea is to manually aggregate particular topics. I would spend 1 day on creating a site which aggregates dozen of sub forums dedicated to Google SEO optimization, another site would be for PHP programming, another website for “NLP and hypnosis” and so on…..

JamesColin, thank you for your comment…
    1) if to aggregate content too it will be not readable….
    2) let’s say I have a dozen of sites like that dedicated to various subjects… what’s next?

mrx345, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  5. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    mrx345, what's next for what? You didn't say what you want out of that? Is it only traffic?
    If so, then I suppose those 12 sites would have had to take a good thinking about their topics, it has to have mass appeal. That initial step way before building the sites should assure that traffic will come naturally once the sites are built and indexed by search engines. Are you sure "NLP and hypnosis" or even "PHP programming" has mass appeal?

6. mrx345

mrx345 Peon

Best Answers:
    JamesColin,
    I created this page because I want to keep track of information that I need from numerous forums in one place instead of checking out dozen of forums lost in my bookmarks….
    What I want - I am trying to figure out how to use this technology… for example, get traffic or see if it might be on demand by people as a useful tool (e.g. if to add search and subscribe features)

mrx345, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  7. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Trying to figure out how to use this technology, I think it depends on what you want, is it money only? Or do you have other needs, like coding more by improving it, adding features to your PHP library, etc.

8. mrx345

mrx345 Peon

Best Answers:
    Are there any other ideas how to use it? Get traffic?

mrx345, Dec 27, 2010 IP