1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free pictures for commercial use

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Mirodenia, Jan 22, 2015.

Hello,

How are you?
    I am looking for free photos, nice ones for my ebooks which I intend to sell on Amazon and other.
    Can you please help with a website recommendation and maybe a format for ebook?
    My cover creator indicated a website to buy photos and of course I preffer for free, doesn't even know where is the difference except money and maybe more variants on paid ones.
    Thank you and have a nice day!

Mirodenia, Jan 22, 2015 IP
  2. Alex Leizerovich

Alex Leizerovich Active Member

Best Answers:
    Freedigitalphotos is for free but relatively smaller database of pictures.
    Personally I use Fotolia its not for free but cheaper than others.

Alex Leizerovich, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  3. HostHub.io

HostHub.io Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hello! You would probably need some good pictures. The ones from free sites are usually not that qualitative: the photographic composition is not the best, the size and quality are also not the best. Instead, you could try to buy royalty free pics, you pay for them once and use them forever. So, maybe opt for the better quality ones so your ebooks look the best. Good luck!

HostHub.io, Jan 27, 2015 IP
  4. cynosurex

cynosurex Member

Best Answers:
    The difference is in the licensing. Photos are copyrighted. When you pay for a photo, you are acquiring a license to use the photo for the agreed upon purpose. Using randomly picked free photos may get you sued. For one thing, how do you know the free photos presented are truly owned by the free photo web site? Would they provide a record of the "free" license? What if they change their policy, which no longer permit the use of the photos for free?

You may have to do a lot of research to find a reputable "free" stock photo site (if there is one). Or you do a little research on reputable stock photo agency and pay an one-time fee for each license.

One free photo license source is the U.S. Government. All government photos (produced by the government) are public domain. However, you still have to research their license, because government entity may also pay for stock photo licenses to use on its marketing material, which you are not permitted to use.

Photo copyright is a complicated topic. If you want quick results, I suggest you go with a one-time licensing from a reputable stock photo agency.

cynosurex, Jan 27, 2015 IP
  5. DylanC

DylanC Member

Best Answers:
    You can use public domain images from sites like pixabay.com and publicdomainpictures.net ... Free stock photos can be found at freeimages.com

From what I understand, the images found on the sites above can be used in ebooks etc.

If you want to go the paid route, try stockfreeimages.com and kozzi.com as they have some of the cheapest plans. Otherwise, shutterstock.com and dreamstime.com have the largest collection of stock images with affordable prices.

DylanC, Feb 7, 2015 IP
    CobaltBlue87 likes this.
  6. BOXC Websites

BOXC Websites Peon

Best Answers:
    In my case I use FreeCommercialUse : http://www.freeforcommercialuse.net/13/

Not a bad website and almost all are in HD.

BOXC Websites, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  7. nathan neeley

nathan neeley Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    pixabay.com

nathan neeley, Feb 12, 2015 IP
  8. thewriteone2345

thewriteone2345 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I usually use paid stock photos. If I want to use free ones then I use these sites:

http://freerangestock.com/
    https://500px.com/creativecommons
    http://www.123rf.com/browsefreeimages.php

thewriteone2345, Feb 12, 2015 IP
  9. nprins

nprins Member

Best Answers:
    There are a lot of different sites online where you can get free stock photos that you can use for commercial purposes. I'd start by checking out Google, Creative Commons and Flickr. They all let you search for copyright free images. Articles like this one are a good place to start looking for suitable images -http://bootstrapbay.com/blog/free-stock-photos/

nprins, Feb 14, 2015 IP