1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Free Software and the Open Source Movement.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Daniel, Nov 21, 2004.

To all the Linux/GNU fans out there.

I watched a killer movie/documentary the other day called "REVOLUTION OS" If you are as much of a linux fan as I am you will REALLY enjoy this flick.

Lots of interviews with key players in the open source initiative.... Richard Stallman and Linus Torvalds to name a couple!

If anyone is interested I may even be able to put it up on an FTP for those that would like to grab it.

:)

Daniel, Nov 21, 2004 IP
  2. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    You should post the link, it would spread across the net like wildfire.

anthonycea, Nov 21, 2004 IP
  3. Daniel

Daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmmmmm I not sure how much bandwidth I'm will to let go for the download hehehe I think it may be a good 600 or so MB file. Ill have to look. Its an hour and a half movie.

But If anyone is interested I am willing to make an account that can be used to grab it for a day or two hehehe.

hmmmmm maybe I can find a torrent link that people can use. Let me look around !

:)

TORRENT LINKS !

http://torrents.us.to/1998/Revolution Os-avi.torrent

http://torrents.us.to/2001/Revolution.OS-DVDRip-XVID-2001-GNU-LINUX.Documentary[www.lokitorrent.com].torrent

Daniel, Nov 21, 2004 IP
  4. anthonycea

anthonycea Banned

Best Answers:
    The second link is dead, the first one takes you to a portal.

anthonycea, Nov 21, 2004 IP
  5. Daniel

Daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    Daniel, Nov 21, 2004 IP
  6. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Dan,

What if someone doesn't have one of those torrent programs installed? Will clicking one of these prompt them to download the program? Because when I click one it opens up my TorrentTopia, which I never even knew existed until like 2 weeks ago. I had never heard of Torrent before that.

K-

Colleen, Nov 21, 2004 IP
  7. Daniel

Daniel Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point Kalina.

Torrent technology has been around for a few years. There are all sorts of client programs you can download that will let you use torrent file links.

Your's Ive never heard of until now :)

To name a few:

shareaza, bit-torrent, shadow experimental torrent client, TorrenTopia etc etc

Basically anyone can do a search on google for "Torrent Clients" and get a list of applications they can download to be able to use torrent file links.

The way torrent technology works for anyone interested in knowing how it works is as follows.

A torrent is comprised of multiple links accross the net. Lets say 100 people are currently downloading a specific torrent file. That means that there are 100 possible sources to get the file from. Torrent technology lets your client application (TorrentTopia etc) download the file in pieces from all of the sources at the same time.

Basically it makes for a REALLY quick method of downloading files. I have pulled some files at 400KB / sec :)

:):)

Daniel, Nov 21, 2004 IP
  8. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for being so thorough Daniel. :)

Colleen, Nov 21, 2004 IP