1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fundamental Question about Content Management

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by txwebdesign, Apr 14, 2006.

Hello,

Hope I'm posting this question in the right place... I've been designing websites for about a year and a few of my clients have inquired about maintaining the websites themselves. Most don't want to have to fool with it, so I take care of it but for those who ask, can someone provide me with websites/companies I can check out that provide some kind of software that would allow my clients to modify the site themselves in the future?

Thank you!
    Beverly :)

txwebdesign, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  2. Michael

Michael Raider

Best Answers:
    Michael, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  3. rszrama

rszrama Peon

Best Answers:
    http://drupal.org

That and others are free, open source projects that would allow your clients to have the control they're seeking. There may be better solutions for what you're needing than Drupal, but as I choose to hold my personal bias, I'll say that Drupal can do whatever you better. ;)

rszrama, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  4. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hey there.

If you are looking for some open source content management systems which are premade, you may want to check out the following:
    - Joomla
    - Mambo Server
    - Drupal
    - GeekLog
    - PHP Nuke
    - phpWCMS
    - PHP Website
    - Post Nuke
    - SiteFrame
    - Typo3
    - Xoops

Optionally, it's also easy to use open source blogging software as a CMS for websites, too:
    - b2Evolution
    - Nucleus
    - pMachine
    - WordPress

Honestly, it's also very easy to use open source forum software as a CMS for your website, too. Many of them have a "portal" feature, which is how you do it:
    - phpBB
    - Simple Machines
    - MyBB
    - Invision Power Board
    - vBulletin

Now, if you're looking for a custom CMS, here are sites that you can find experience programmers at:
    - Script Lance
    - Get A Coder
    - SitePoint Forums
    - Talk Free Lance
    - Digital Point
    - Young Coders
    - WebHostingTalk
    - Programming Forums
    - Programmer's Heaven

I hope that this helps you out. :) Should save you a LOT of time (took quite some time to compile and organize the list :p). If your client does not need a ton of stuff, I'd suggest that he'd/she'd use an open source CMS unless they positively have to and have the money to dish out on a custom CMS. :)

EGS, Apr 14, 2006 IP