1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

gMail Spam Filter - Is it losing the battle?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by yfs1, May 25, 2005.

I have to say when I first got my gMail account I was really impressed with their Spam filter as it consistantly outperformed Norton Anti Spam.

I have noticed it missing more and more emails over the last two weeks. And not just ones that can go either way. Out and Out spams for Business Logos and Vi*gra.

It is now at about 75% where it used to be around 99%. It almost makes me think the spammers are figuring out the filter they use.

Has anyone else expereinced this?

yfs1, May 25, 2005 IP
  2. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Gmail catches almost 100% of all the spam I get.

fryman, May 25, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    How many do you get a day on the account where it catches 100%. I'm probably getting around 150+ a day. (Although all of my email forward to one gMail for ease of use)

yfs1, May 25, 2005 IP
  4. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Not so much from gmail, I don't use it as much as I should, but I have noticed that spammers are getting tricky.

All you really have to do is send it to yourself and edit until it misses the filter - whatever filter you are using.

It's good advice to newsletter operators, and a technique for spammers to avoid the filters as well, but surely Google's filters do learn as they work. Most I have seen get past SpamAssassin were really short.

NetMidWest, May 25, 2005 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    I must get 20 a day.. not much, but at least I just click a button and all the spam gets deleted.

But I am impressed of the filtering they do... it even catches stupid tricks like sending emails with "v*agra" "v i a g r a" and similar stuff

fryman, May 25, 2005 IP
  6. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    They are still loads better than anything else. Norton Anti Spam was installed by my host on the web server (I had previously disabled mine) and it was a disaster. It errs on the side of throwing the SPAM filter on legitimate sites.

I guess I am just hoping the last 2 weeks are a fluke as the way gMail labeled Spam was impressive to say the least.

Of course then you have Hotmail which is so bad its nearly funny.

yfs1, May 25, 2005 IP