1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google New ICON!

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by bobgreen13, Jan 11, 2009.

Hello guys,

Anyone seen google's new icon when visiting their site?
    go ahead go to google and see their new ugly icon.

A person with no photoshop or illustrator skills could produce better than that!

anyones opinions?

bobgreen13, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  2. Redders

Redders Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Redders, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  3. NovruzeliH

NovruzeliH Peon

Best Answers:
    it looks wierd in my opinon too :D, anyways, yo redders ty for sharing with us the debate thread.

NovruzeliH, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  4. kuzmanin

kuzmanin Peon

Best Answers:
    i saw their new icon but thought that is is a mistake

kuzmanin, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  5. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    wow! last weeks news haha.

While I'm not a huge fan of it, the purple one REALLY didn't fit. Google is silently launching a more integrated intiative between their products. Just like Chrome which came out of the blue, it will happen someday soon.

Google always underrates their stuff. Gmail is just another webmail that happens to have chat, webcam, audio chat and 7GB of storage. Chrome is just another web browser that just happens to have an open-sourced reverse engineered Windows Kernel in the code for 'stability' essentially documenting and sorting code Micorosft doesn't even have comments and records on.

Android is just another operating system for phones, but just HAPPENS to be a fully-loaded linux operating system that can be used on the desktop.

Google is really cooking something up slowly, think total applications being seamlessly integrated between desktop and internet. Gmail runs like an application, out of the browser, and all of your 'software' is really written using web languages.

Google's identity itself is in the rainbow coloured GOOGLE, but that doesn't make a very good icon does it? This new icon here could be used on a start menu, it could be used as a square iphone-like icon on a desktop, it could be used for any number of things, and instead of the 'G' being in colour on a white background, the 'g' is made out of the central space between independent and different objects.

It's a very symbolic and beautiful logo. Google is at the centre of multiple different services coming together. Very Gestalt.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I may not love it visually, but it makes ton of SENSE to me, and because of that it's a very sucessful logo/icon. I can't wait until Google just starts tattooing them on people's foreheads ;)

innovati, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  6. mytvtalk

mytvtalk Active Member

Best Answers:
    ugly favicon, sure they will come up with something better

mytvtalk, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  7. fiona45in

fiona45in Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very busy according to me :)

fiona45in, Jan 11, 2009 IP
  8. bnbdesign

bnbdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    they can hire someone better to do that... afterall it's a billion dollar company

bnbdesign, Jan 12, 2009 IP
  9. innovati

innovati Peon

Best Answers:
    well, I'm a designer, I offered my insight here for you all to read in a very concise and articulate manner. I stand behind the design conceptually and I explained what it means to me when I see it.

Although I'm not the biggest fan of it ever, and find it very coloured and loud compared to the other one, but a lot of people here seem to have very strong opinions without very much support for their complaints.

What makes this logo miss the mark in your eyes? What is it about this logo that fails to deliver? How is this logo overpriced?

Paul Rand, who is still considered by most designers to have been the greatest logo designer who ever lived (think IBM logo, Westinghouse, old UPS logo) designed very expensive identities that have lasted decades. His logos were so simple a child could easily understand and draw them, yet they have stood the test of time.

A lowercase, old-style 'g' is durable, classic, immortal and yet always relevant at the same time. I imagine Google needs to choose a colour, I would have said either blue or green, but since both of those have recently been worn out thanks to Apple's Aqua fad in the early 2000's and the current 'going green' idiocy either could have bad connotations now.

If the new google logo is so bad, what do you propose would be a better solution to the following problem, which was more likely than not the design brief for the project:

Design a logo that is clearly visible in sizes as small as 16x16 that represents one of the biggest internet companies, and shows the calm unity that exists between all of its many services.

The logo must be able to fit in a 16x16 pixel grid
    The logo must be square enough to be able to be used as an icon
    The logo must be recognizeable
    The logo must be legible

If the above were the challenge, what solution would you come up with that would be better? I think answering that question will be better than simply saying you dislike it.

innovati, Jan 12, 2009 IP
    farrhad likes this.
  10. justcoolsam

justcoolsam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why people not like this new fevicon. It is betten than previous one.

justcoolsam, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  11. bobgreen13

bobgreen13 Guest

Best Answers:
    eh, it seems to busy and confusing with the colors

in my opinion of course

bobgreen13, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  12. scoopy82

scoopy82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't even see a "g" in it until it was pointed out on another thread... and as I said there. It looks to me like Sherwin Williams puked on my toolbar.

It would be another thing if it did match their logo... but seeing they are still using this one:
    [​IMG]

it seems more like some drug induced rebellion by one employee rather than a professional corporate move to something better.

and here's my idea of what would of been better:
    [​IMG]

1) The "g" has instant recognition from their current logo in use.
    2) The "g" appears to be taking charge here of all the other parts of the growing corporation symbolized by balls using their logo colors.
    3) Contains their "famous" plain white background. They change the simplicity of that and we may as well use Yahoo or something.

Tho, the newer icon they came up with just might look good in a 24" x 32" size hanging next to my Andy Warhol posters.

scoopy82, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  13. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I like the new logo actually, at least it captures the multi-coloured aspect just like the Google name on their site without making it look ugly.

Ibn Juferi, Jan 13, 2009 IP
  14. Evgeniy

Evgeniy Member

Best Answers:
    old one fits me just fine, why change it?

Evgeniy, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  15. walterj

walterj Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like it either, way too busy.

walterj, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  16. bobgreen13

bobgreen13 Guest

Best Answers:
    2009 brings NEW changes, so therefore I guess their belief is a NEW favicon

bobgreen13, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  17. Soccersam

Soccersam Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks different, alot of new colors :confused:

catches the eye i guess somewhat

old one was boring so I guess this one's better :p

Soccersam, Jan 15, 2009 IP
  18. buncai

buncai Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah.. It looks different but, I think the old one still okay.. maybe many people still like it

buncai, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  19. makmakpoli

makmakpoli Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't like their new icon... Its like a child's design.

makmakpoli, Jan 16, 2009 IP
  20. matiskater

matiskater Peon

Best Answers:
    i think its awsome!! a bit simple but really like it!!!

matiskater, Jan 17, 2009 IP